Premier League 2018/19

Lineker

• Admin

The Sun has defended its coverage of footballer Raheem Sterling, insisting that its reporting of his life has “nothing to do with skin colour” and warning critics to “engage their brains” before making similar accusations.

After the Manchester City and England player was subjected to alleged racist abuse during Saturday’s Premier League match against Chelsea, he posted on Instagram that some sections of the newspaper industry help “fuel racism” by covering the private lives of young black players in a different manner to their white counterparts.

The Sun, which was not singled out by Sterling but has been criticised by his supporters, used its leader column on Tuesday to defend its reporting on the Manchester City player’s private life: “Let’s get something straight. The racist abuse of Raheem Sterling at Chelsea is not somehow The Sun’s fault. We hope those allegedly responsible get what they deserve.

“We hugely admire Sterling’s talent. Our coverage of his off-field behaviour has nothing to do with skin colour.

“The suggestion is ridiculous and offensive — and the idea it inspired racists is baseless. His media mates should engage their brains before dishing out accusations without a shred of evidence.”

However, the Sun’s chief sports writer Dave Kidd used his column to say that Sterling’s comments had prompted him to reconsider how young black players are covered, saying that he has “felt uneasy” with some aspects of how Sterling has been covered, and warning that football journalism is not an ethnically diverse industry.

A Chelsea fan pictured shouting insults at Sterling during the match has lost his job over the incident but insists he was not shouting racist abuse.

Sterling’s relationships, decision to get a gun tattoo and other aspects of his private life have been repeatedly covered by newspapers in recent years, with the player saying his white teammates are not subject to the same level of scrutiny. Last year a man was jailed after subjecting the player to a racist attack outside his club’s training ground.

The player used an Instagram post on Saturday to compare the headlines on two MailOnline stories about young Manchester City players who both bought their mothers a home after securing a lucrative contract.

A story about black player Tosin Adarabioyo ran under the headline ‘Young Manchester City footballer, 20, on £25,000 a week splashes out on mansion on market for £2.25m despite having never started a Premier League match’, while a similar story about white teenage midfielder Phil Foden carried the simpler headline: ‘Foden buys new £2m home for his mum’.

The story threatened to spread further as Bournemouth player Tyrone Mings announced he was pulling out of a planned interview with radio station TalkSport – which is owned by the same company as the Sun – in protest at its coverage of the incident.

“I’m meant to be doing an interview with TalkSport tomorrow, which won’t be happening,” he said. “I’m fed up of broadcasting channels who have a huge voice allowing this sort of shit to be said. Like someone or dislike them, there is no ‘but’ or grey area when it comes to racism.”

“I will absolutely voice my opinion and play my part for those who do not have as much of a reach. It has to be in the right way and on the right platforms though. Silence is deadly for stations and outlets who rely on viewers and listeners.”

Mings was reacting to a TalkSport clip featuring former Reading striker Dave Kitson, who suggested that Sterling’s old Instagram posts may have antagonised the public.

“We have a duty of care to ourselves as footballers to be a little bit careful with social media and the way we portray ourselves,” said Kitson, who suggested Sterling’s decision to upload pictures of his new homes and new cars was “going to antagonise people”.

“That is no excuse whatsoever for racially abusing someone but you sow a seed among people who are not racists not to like that particular person because they don’t want to see that in their faces every single day.”

Former Fulham player Leroy Rosenior later called in to challenge Kitson on air.

The gun tattoo outrage was the bit that pissed me off the most. It is something deeply personal to him and those cunts thought he was glorifying gun crime? Don't worry about his other tat that had him outside of the Wembley arch.

• Like 3

Kitson's comments are ridiculous too. In Rovers circles we genuinely use the word "Kitson" instead of "cunt" (like Sol Campbell on here I guess) and you can see why there. Cretin.

Also, fuck The Sun. Day that rag goes out of business will be a good one.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Liam Mk2 said:

RE Dave Kitson:

Genuinely thought the third pic was Max Branning too.

Kitson is the same Sol Campbell that complained about Reading having a Ginger Day to celebrate him and Sidwell.

Liverpool will be without Joel Matip until late January. He dislocated his shoulder last night in the last minute of the game.

VVD and Degsy will have to get through Christmas.

Alternatively, James Milner can probably play CB. He can seemingly do everything else.

57 minutes ago, Lineklaus said:

My uncle is a vendor; he's supplying them with carpet cleaners etc, has been told: Could we? Yes, circa February/March. Will we? Who knows. Premier League might not let us.

If it's already going to be until March, might as well just leave it til next season and give it all summer to iron out any remaining issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hobo said:

Liverpool will be without Joel Matip until late January. He dislocated his shoulder last night in the last minute of the game.

VVD and Degsy will have to get through Christmas.

Alternatively, James Milner can probably play CB. He can seemingly do everything else.

Oh god Lovren is gonna shit the bed against Lukaku ain't he :(

32 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

Oh god Lovren is gonna shit the bed against Lukaku ain't he :(

I believe in World Cup Finalist Degsy Lovren!