2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

RoHitman Reigns

On 19/03/2019 at 19:59, livid said:

I feel like the conversation around QBs has become either "he's the worst" or "he's the best", there's little to no acknowledgement of the inbetween that a lot of them fall into. Byproduct of the hyperbolic internet, I guess.

On 19/03/2019 at 21:45, Meacon said:

It's like everything else on the internet. There's no in between about anything. Every single thing is yes/no, black/white, good/bad. 

This is definitely true.  That said.....I'm fairly convinced Dan Jones from Duke is going to be terrible in the pros and almost everything I've read points to the Giants targeting him with that pick they got from the Browns at #17.  Taking Dan Jones when the team is guaranteed to be in play for Tua/Fromm/Herbert in 2020 is going to piss me off so much.

I'd 100% wait until next year. Take best player available at 6. Trade back at 17 if possible and be in position next year when Eli is off the books. 

The team is gonna suck this year anyway and there's no worry about wasting OBJ's prime anymore.

6 hours ago, DMN said:

No, just Saquon's.

This too of course! :P

Saquon only just turned 22 though that's less of an immediate worry. The stacked boxes he's going to face this year is though!

The Giants have four more years of control for Saquon.  This year’s going to be a wash and, assuming the new QB doesn’t start playing until 2020, there will probably be some growing pains there too.

So yeah, 2021 is about the soonest I can see the team being relevant again so that leaves just a two year window to do something before Saquon inevitably wants the largest contract for a RB ever. 

3 hours ago, Chris2K said:

I give it two (and a bit) years before he's either unretired in the NFL or in a WrestleMania match.

I wouldn't be surprised if he came back towards the end of this season. But definitely agree that he will have a Wrestlemania match in two years. 

3 hours ago, Lineker said:

First game of the season will be Packers @ Bears.

Usually the SB champ hosts the first game of the year, but they made an exception this year because they wanted the league’s oldest rivalry to open the 100th season.

Pats will host the first Sunday night game instead and they’ll revert to the traditional SB champ opening in 2020.

• Like 1

On 23/03/2019 at 12:28, Meacon said:

Now, now, NFL teams turn it around all the time. One properly done offseason can turn your team into contenders.

Having the QB be the last piece instead of the first piece is super smart and it's how so many of these teams have been quickly able to turn it around. Load up on skill position players, draft the QB, fill in holes with free agents and more draft picks. If you start with the QB you at best waste most of their rookie contract and at worse ruin them due to having no protection.

5 hours ago, Pooker said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he came back towards the end of this season. But definitely agree that he will have a Wrestlemania match in two years. 

I have a hunch he is taking this season off unless the Pats are awful without him and need him. This is as much a chance for him to rest his body as anything.

• Like 1

I hope Gronk stays retired. He's one of only 2 Patriots players I've ever liked. (The other being Tedy Bruschi. Drew Bledsoe doesn't really count, because I liked him his entire career.) Because I don't want the risk of one of those scenarios where an athlete comes back only to get injured badly. And of course, because the Patriots won't be as good without him.

Owners are making a push to allow teams the chance to attempt a 15 yard conversion from the 35 yard line instead of an onside kick.  It would have the effect of a 4th and 15.  If you make it, the drive continues.  If you miss it, the other team is already in field goal range.

Feels a bit gimmicky although I do understand where the idea is coming from.  Right now your only hope of recovering onside kicks is that the receiving team flubs it.  This will at least leave it up to more than chance.  But the important caveat is it can only be used once so if you're down multiple scores you'll still have to recover a kick at some point.