2024 NFL Off-Season thread

Lineker

First we have Reed Blankenship, now the Eagles have Cooper DeJean.

When is the NFL going to stop forcing DEI down our throats and stop trying to make white DBs a thing?

(I really hope ya'll realize this is sarcastic)

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, DMN in the House said:

It was completely unnecessary and tone-deaf, and it doesn't do much to make Tony's detractors look wrong. I already said my piece in The Ring where it probably belongs, anyway.

Really loving the Raider's draft thus far. I wouldn't be surprised if Bowers turns out to be the best player in the draft, he has that type of talent, and JPJ should slot right in at guard before moving to center in a few years when Andre James contract is up. Now, if the Raiders can keep drafting well in the later rounds like they have the last few years, things could really come together.

I know the Raiders have been taking flack for drafting Bowers when they drafted Mayer in the 2nd last year.

But he was BPA and 2TE sets are very much a thing. JPJ is a beast too.

Other than the Bears with Williams-Odunze, Bowers-JPJ is my favorite 1-2 punch for opening picks.

My takeaway from all 3 of Joe Schoen’s drafts so far is that he very much adheres to the “Team Needs”.  Love what he’s done in this class.

Tyler Nubin will go straight into a starter role, might be the best pure safety in the class.  Worst case is if he doesn’t work as a starter, his floor is as a special teams ace and probably a future captain.

Andru Phillips didn’t have great production but is the type of corner that fits right into Shane Bowens’ scheme, has versatility both outside and in the slot.

Theo Johnson is gonna get a lot of playing time, especially with Darren Waller still mulling retirement.  Frankly, Waller’s probably a lock to get hurt again even if he plays so yeah, he’s gonna see a lot of snaps.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gunnar hendershow said:

Assuming the Raiders will be rolling the rookie QB dice next off-season, having a viable 2TE set goes a long way in taking some pressure off of them. 

They just have to suck this year to make it all worthwhile.

I don't think we're going to be bad this year, and I don't think that's the plan, tbh. We'd have to try really hard to be worse than Denver based on roster alone, and I don't think we'll be worse than the Chargers, either. The defense was solid after Pierce took over last year, and Minshew is enough of an upgrade to AOC that the Raiders will probably be around .500 at worst.

I'm not sure where they go for a QB after next season, none of the prospects really excite me.

Just now, Maxx said:

TK still rocking the brace on Day 3

Saw reports that he's going to sign so it can be auctioned off for St. Jude's, which is pretty cool.

• Like 3

The Bills have picked a guy who the term 'physical freak' seems to have been invented for. 6 foot 7 inches, 303 lbs, ran a 4.79 second 40 yard dash. Former Rugby player who interested the IPP, just turned 23. Could be great, and as a 7th round pick and that extra practice squad spot for IPP players, very little pressure.

• Like 1

On 27/04/2024 at 14:38, DMN in the House said:

I don't think we're going to be bad this year

Yes, you have said this at least every year we’ve been doing fantasy football on here 😄

• Haha 3

I generally like Rapaport but he was especially annoying during the draft this year.  He's said he's not allowed to spoil draft picks on air (anyone can go to Twitter for that if they want to) because the NFL wants maximum drama for the viewing audience, but he does tell the producers when to throw to him when he's got info to share.  And he made it a point to jump on 30 seconds before the Falcons pick was announced to be like "I know most people expect the Falcons to go defense here, but I just want everyone to know they did a significant amount of work on the QBs even after giving Kirk Cousins $100 million, it's all about a succession plan at the most important position."

He didn't give a name of course but it was as close to tipping a pick as you could get.  Apparently Falcons/Penix rumors were actually a thing 48 or so hours leading into the draft and Falcons fans were afraid it could actually happen, but for the other 31 fanbases I don't think it was on anyone's radar at all.  That was arguably the most surprising draft pick in recent history and this guy just had to get ahead of it.

3 hours ago, Lineker said:

A proven weapon in the backfield?  Is he being allowed to play while carrying a gun?

• Haha 4

As a lifelong Philadelphia Eagles fan, my favorite pick of the draft is forever going to be trading to grab Jeremiah Trotter Jr out of Clemson. Dad was an absolute icon here, and seeing his son now join the team is just so amazing to see. 

• Like 4

• Lineker changed the title to 2024 NFL Off-Season thread

Between this and the Rashod Bateman extension I'm officially wondering just what the fuck is going on in this organization. Did forgetting your QB is Lamar Jackson in the AFC Championship completely break the front office?

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/odafe-oweh-fifth-year-option-baltimore-ravens-news-exercised