Premier League 2019/20

Lineker

1 hour ago, DavidMarrio said:

Ahhh the days of a young Richard Wright and Titus Bramble. Mad how they got a Uefa Cup spot and got to the League Cup semis that year

Only 3 points off 3rd / 4 points off 2nd as well, which is pretty insane all things considered. 

1 hour ago, Baddar said:

I remember nothing about the matches themselves, but do recall watching them play in the UEFA Cup. Pretty sure it was on BBC.

Played Inter Milan and won 1-0 at home. It was pretty much all people talked about for a very long time in Ipswich. 

42 minutes ago, metalman said:

And Marcus Stewart scoring 19 goals. That came out of nowhere.

Legend. 

5 minutes ago, Colly said:

97% of NUST members support the takeover. I've never felt more happy that I've never felt the urge to sign up.

You get a nice certificate.

Just catching up on the last MOTD, there was a note to say Mount is only the second Englishman to score a Premier League free kick for Chelsea. Surely that can't be right in 28 years?

5 minutes ago, Gazz said:

You get a nice certificate.

Is that where your pound goes? I've often wondered.

1 hour ago, Colly said:

Just catching up on the last MOTD, there was a note to say Mount is only the second Englishman to score a Premier League free kick for Chelsea. Surely that can't be right in 28 years?

And Ross Barkley scored one in the Europa League! His premier league free kick goal day will come

So apparently it'll be back to normal for TV next year even if there's no crowds. Meaning you have to pay extortionate BT and Sky Sports prices yet still have no way to legally watch all 38 games for your team. It's ridiculous they've gotten away with that so far but to keep it up when there's no crowds is just ridiculous.

Clubs should be allowed to sell passes for the games that aren't televised by Sky and BT, until crowds are allowed again, at least. Nobody being able to watch live at all benefits nobody.

In other news, SAF has congratulated "fantastic" Liverpool on winning the league, and Klopp said he "loves and admires" him.

2020 really needs to get in the bin. 😑

46 minutes ago, Baddar said:

Clubs should be allowed to sell passes for the games that aren't televised by Sky and BT, until crowds are allowed again, at least. Nobody being able to watch live at all benefits nobody.

In other news, SAF has congratulated "fantastic" Liverpool on winning the league, and Klopp said he "loves and admires" him.

2020 really needs to get in the bin. 😑

Klopp called Fergie the Pope.

49 minutes ago, TCO said:

So apparently it'll be back to normal for TV next year even if there's no crowds. Meaning you have to pay extortionate BT and Sky Sports prices yet still have no way to legally watch all 38 games for your team. It's ridiculous they've gotten away with that so far but to keep it up when there's no crowds is just ridiculous.

I don't understand the thinking behind this. Wasn't part of the reason that all Prem games got televised so that they didn't have to pay as much money back to Sky/BT etc because a crowdless game doesn't have the same atmosphere etc? 

If the above is true, then how are Sky/BT etc going to be happy with 1/3 or less stadium capacity? 

On 28/07/2020 at 10:05, TCO said:

On 28/07/2020 at 10:56, DFF said:

I don't understand the thinking behind this. Wasn't part of the reason that all Prem games got televised so that they didn't have to pay as much money back to Sky/BT etc because a crowdless game doesn't have the same atmosphere etc? 

If the above is true, then how are Sky/BT etc going to be happy with 1/3 or less stadium capacity? 

The fundamental thing is they will be going back to the more "normal" structure of games on saturdays and things like that and legally you can't show any live football in the UK between 3 and 5 on a Saturday, so it just makes things a massive mess.  With the idea of going back to the norm of having all of the leagues p;laying I think they want to go back to the norm for Sky and BT's sake of having their exclusivity, which they paid significant money for, returned to them.

We've got a pyramid of 92 league clubs and hundreds more non league clubs below that, most of whom will kick off at 3pm on a Saturday. The 3pm tv blackout means that I wouldn't go "you know what, I could go to watch Billingham Town up the road, but Liverpool are on tv so I won't bother".

Edited by Colly
Can't count.
  • Like 3

Ah, thanks for that. In the US we obviously don't get lower leagues for the most part (ESPN+ carries some Championship games and then League One, League Two playoffs off the top of my head). So every weekend at least one of the 3pm kickoffs do get aired live here. The more significant matches airing earlier in the morning or at noon which fits with the 3pm blackout. Usually the match sandwiched between the two bigger matches is something like Brighton v. Watford.

But in terms of protecting lower league clubs that makes a ton of sense within the UK. I'm not sure if in the age of international broadcasting it really works anymore though. There's not many hoops you have to jump through to watch someone streaming the NBC Sports broadcast of a 3pm match for instance. Plus, aren't the matches still available on radio?

6 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

Plus, aren't the matches still available on radio?

You can take a radio with you. Old guy who sits next to me at Newcastle goes to Gateshead too (he's often made the dash to both for a 5:30 kickoff) and will listen to their score updates during.

3 minutes ago, Naitch said:

Plus NBC has the big selling point of the Two Robbies :shifty:

(That's Robbies Earle and Mustoe in the studio for those of you who haven't ever watched NBC coverage)

Do you still get Shaka Hislop too?