Premier League 2019/20

Lineker

32 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

Kuyt's 10 yard hattrick against Man Utd should be 1,2,3 

Can't believe a Bobby no look special didn't make it in? The amount of skill it takes to score without looking!

3 hours ago, Baddar said:

Was Giroud's wonder goal in the league? 

Cisse for Newcastle at the Bridge was great too. 

That should have been strongly considered. 

That Bergkamp goal (and the man himself for that matter) is so over-rated it's criminal. It's a complete mistouch and then he pushes Dabizas off the ball. 

There's this mystique around him that I never got. That goal shouldn't even crack the top 3 goals scored vs. Newcastle, nevermind the greatest goal ever.

14 minutes ago, TCO said:

That Bergkamp goal (and the man himself for that matter) is so over-rated it's criminal. It's a complete mistouch and then he pushes Dabizas off the ball. 

There's this mystique around him that I never got. That goal shouldn't even crack the top 3 goals scored vs. Newcastle, nevermind the greatest goal ever.

I'm not having that. Bergkamp is the first player that really attracted me to football (brother was an Arsenal fan) and he was just a unique, artistic striker who scored some wonderful goals. Whether he meant this one or not, I don't think it's a foul on Dabizas. And regardless, what about this goal against Leicester? Or the famous control and finish against Argentina in the World Cup (complete with incredible Dutch commentary)? He was a fantastic football player.

There have been a slew of absolute belters against Newcastle in the Premier League mind.

• Like 2

Bergkamp was exceptional, no doubt about it. That goal though he doesn't even count as his best, while the technique is wonderful he accepts the amount of luck involved, and the push...

I've no doubt posted this link before and probably will again:

https://www.theblizzard.co.uk/article/dennis-bergkamp

52 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Yeah Bergkamp was class. I couldn't help but enjoy watching him play. And I'm a Watford fan.

53 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Yeah Bergkamp was class. I couldn't help but enjoy watching him play. And I'm a Bournemouth fan.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Adam said:

I'm not having that. Bergkamp is the first player that really attracted me to football (brother was an Arsenal fan) and he was just a unique, artistic striker who scored some wonderful goals. Whether he meant this one or not, I don't think it's a foul on Dabizas. And regardless, what about this goal against Leicester? Or the famous control and finish against Argentina in the World Cup (complete with incredible Dutch commentary)? He was a fantastic football player.

There have been a slew of absolute belters against Newcastle in the Premier League mind.

Oh I agree he was a fantastic player, I just think he was rated a bit too highly because of the style of player he was and produced a couple of highlight reel moments. He also was far from a prolific scorer, well the level that you'd associate with the top strikers anyway.

I'll always think that. I remember Sky put him in the all-time Premier League team ahead of Shearer a few years back which was absolutely absurd. But the main thing is there's no way that is the greatest goal in the PL era. I'd take Suarez' one against Newcastle over it alone and that was a similar type of goal.

8 minutes ago, TCO said:

Oh I agree he was a fantastic player, I just think he was rated a bit too highly because of the style of player he was and produced a couple of highlight reel moments. He also was far from a prolific scorer, well the level that you'd associate with the top strikers anyway.

I'll always think that. I remember Sky put him in the all-time Premier League team ahead of Shearer a few years back which was absolutely absurd. But the main thing is there's no way that is the greatest goal in the PL era. I'd take Suarez' one against Newcastle over it alone and that was a similar type of goal.

Come on. Bergkamp wasn't an out and out striker. You can't just rate him based on how many goals he scored. He played behind the strikers for Inter before going to Arsenal where he did play up front but his role wasn't the same as Shearer. Rather similar to the one he played in Italy. You can't expect to squeeze orange juice out of a mango.

I'm definitely biased because he would definitely be my number 1 all time in the Premier. I won't deny it.

Still, while he may not have been the best player in the premier league era he was definitely one of the best. Some people may rate him too highly (I'll admit I may be one of those people) but you definitely rate him too low.

Bergkamp's touch can't be compared to Suarez either. Suarez was intense and that's a good goal (I checked it again. I didn't remember it) but Bergkamp's touch was something else. 

• Like 1