Premier League 2019/20

Lineker

My favourite Denis Bergkamp thing was how he was afraid of flying and how it meant he wasnt always available for European away games.

The Premier League can today confirm that, on Sunday 17 May and Monday 18 May, 748 players and club staff were tested for COVID-19.

Of these, six have tested positive from three clubs.

Players or club staff who have tested positive will now self-isolate for a period of seven days. 

23 hours ago, TCO said:

That Bergkamp goal (and the man himself for that matter) is so over-rated it's criminal. It's a complete mistouch and then he pushes Dabizas off the ball. 

There's this mystique around him that I never got. That goal shouldn't even crack the top 3 goals scored vs. Newcastle, nevermind the greatest goal ever.

Get out. 

Now. 

First of all, people often attribute that touch to being an accident. If it was an accident, how did he know exactly where the ball was going when he turned around? 

Secondly, I don't understand how he was over-rated. People point to his goal-scoring but Dennis Bergkamp was never a goal-scorer but he was a scorer of great goals and he was the type of player you would pay money to watch. 

I would compare him to someone like Gianfranco Zola, he was a "striker" but he wasn't a goalscorer but he was incredible to watch with the ball at his feet. 

9 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Get out. 

Now. 

First of all, people often attribute that touch to being an accident. If it was an accident, how did he know exactly where the ball was going when he turned around? 

Secondly, I don't understand how he was over-rated. People point to his goal-scoring but Dennis Bergkamp was never a goal-scorer but he was a scorer of great goals and he was the type of player you would pay money to watch. 

I would compare him to someone like Gianfranco Zola, he was a "striker" but he wasn't a goalscorer but he was incredible to watch with the ball at his feet. 

I never said he wasn't amazing, I said people rate him too highly which I stand by. I grew up watching him, it's not as if I'm checking his wiki for the stats and making a claim.

Yes I feel the touch wasn't intended to go that I way. I think he was stretching to drag the ball the opposite way ,to open it up onto his right foot. After the touch went the other way his momentum carried him into the same path. He then pushes Dabizas to the ground with an extended hand to the chest which was a foul.

Just an opinion, everyone has one!

I also think the Bergkamp goal was a fluke.

I'm also the guy who thinks Ryan Giggs' run from the halfway line goal (FA Cup though, iirc) was more about shit Arsenal defending than any real skill, so I might not be the best judge.

Sammy James is the guy from Fulhamish and the ones he chooses are very good. Kasami's comes first, unsurprisingly for a Fulham fan, but it is very much a goal that would have been lauded for years if it was scored by a more fancied player.

10408949565_025ac7e3b1_o.gif

10409121583_d8c6369130_o.gif

That was on his weaker foot as well. Ridic.

Edited by Liam

It's funny, because my Fulham supporting buddy often brings up that goal as it is never mentioned alongside the Rooney's / Shearer's etc.

I'm in complete agreement though, it was absolutely outstanding. All in one swift motion too without the ball hitting the ground and as you say, on his weaker foot

I'd take Emre Can's and Carroll's bicycle kicks get no mention but I'd take there's over Rooney's shinner!

Also I think Van Persie's best goal was the volley from outside the box against Charlton. Technique was insane on that one!

I've seen the Kasami one mentioned and it is superb, but I find it interesting that Crouch one that's similar and further out (probably on his stronger foot...) seems to be getting overlooked. 

Back to Bergkamp, it's only a fluke in the sense of being lucky that Dabizas has played into his hands, the technique and finish are superb. See my link again.

1 hour ago, Lineker said:

He only came forward because the Telegraph were going to out him.

Surely that's a breach of confidentiality if they were going to do that.