Premier League 2019/20

Lineker

35 minutes ago, Naitch said:

The ball hit his arm and there wasn't anything he could do about it. Punishing that with a penalty is wrong. I think the only time a ball to hand should stop play is when it directly puts the ball into the net.

But he moves towards the ball, it hits his stuck-out elbow and if it doesn't, it's going through to Mane or van Dijk stood behind him. Penalty all day long.

Liverpool were the far better side tonight. Alexander-Arnold with maybe the best display by a right back I've ever seen.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Liam Mk2 said:

I think this Liverpool side might be the best that I’ve seen in my lifetime. They’re outrageously good.

It’s hard to dislike them as well, that’s the worst part. 

I don't think people appreciate this enough in fear of disrespecting the past, but Liverpool and City for the last three seasons have been the two best sides the English top flight has seen. No Fergie team was as good as either of these (though granted his biggest strength was adapting to whatever competition he had and doing enough to see them off), the Invincibles weren't as good as either of these, and Mourinho's Chelsea couldn't do what they're doing either. Even the old fellas on the Kop are starting to concede that this side is better than anything we had in the 70s and 80s. It's mental to think that we're almost certainly watching the best Liverpool team ever.

10 hours ago, Nerf said:

I don't think people appreciate this enough in fear of disrespecting the past, but Liverpool and City for the last three seasons have been the two best sides the English top flight has seen. No Fergie team was as good as either of these (though granted his biggest strength was adapting to whatever competition he had and doing enough to see them off), the Invincibles weren't as good as either of these, and Mourinho's Chelsea couldn't do what they're doing either. Even the old fellas on the Kop are starting to concede that this side is better than anything we had in the 70s and 80s. It's mental to think that we're almost certainly watching the best Liverpool team ever.

Obviously we both have our biases but I think this is very hyperbolic. Could this Liverpool team hang with the very best Fergie Man United team, or the Invincibles, or Prime Chelsea? Sure, and they could probably win the league as well but to say the best ever? I don't agree. I don't think its fear of disrespecting the past I think its overblowing how good they are because by comparison, the rest of the traditional big 4 have fallen away big time. If Arsenal continued the success and strength and style they had with Henry, Bergkamp and Viera into the consequent teams would Liverpool be this dominant? If Fergie still managed to produce a squad as good as the treble winners would this Liverpool be as comfortable? Liverpool are doing a fantastic job but let's not get carried away off the back of one of the most boring champions league finals ever. You've not won the prem yet 😛

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kaney Klaus said:

Obviously we both have our biases but I think this is very hyperbolic. Could this Liverpool team hang with the very best Fergie Man United team, or the Invincibles, or Prime Chelsea? Sure, and they could probably win the league as well but to say the best ever? I don't agree. I don't think its fear of disrespecting the past I think its overblowing how good they are because by comparison, the rest of the traditional big 4 have fallen away big time. If Arsenal continued the success and strength and style they had with Henry, Bergkamp and Viera into the consequent teams would Liverpool be this dominant? If Fergie still managed to produce a squad as good as the treble winners would this Liverpool be as comfortable? Liverpool are doing a fantastic job but let's not get carried away off the back of one of the most boring champions league finals ever. You've not won the prem yet 😛

Whose arsed if it's boring when you're winning a Champions League final! Can only beat what is in front of you and during that whole champions league run we beat PSG, Napoli, Bayern and beat Barca at home 4-0 to win 4-3 on aggregate

I think it's hard to compare teams of different eras. The league is a lot different now then it was in the 90s, 00s and even the start of the decade. 

I can say it's the best Liverpool team I've watched in my lifetime but I wouldn't say it's better or worse then the invincibles or fergie's run.

Theres differences such as you can argue you've got two teams getting a ridiculous points total last season who were neck and neck and you could argue theres a lot more money in the league and you've got one of the most richest teams assembled etc or teams aren't as likely to sell their best players to top teams cause they can afford not to. You can argue some teams like United and Arsenal have fallen off a cliff in recent years compared to when leagues were more competitive. You can also argue the standard of the league is a lot tighter in the middle. 

I don't like comparing players/teams from different time periods. It's like whose better Maradona/Messi etc. I'm just appreciating the ride of watching my team that can play some fantastic football or can grind out results. I spent most of my childhood watching that whiskey nosed prick pull off result after result and I would have been saying were spawny results at times and now I'm watching us do it and it's like looking back, its teams finding a way to win and having an aura of fear about them. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TCO said:

How was that not a foul on Mendy by Traore for the 2nd goal last night? He literally barged through his back and shoved him off the ball. Everyone slating Mendy but I can't fathom how it's not a free kick.

If he went down he probably would have gotten a free kick. One of them. 

Still, he should have just booted the ball rather than shield the ball for what would have been a Wolves corner. 

11 hours ago, Adam said:

I won't debate the merits of which team would be better, but I will say I wish there was a way to watch this Liverpool team play against the peak Fergie team with Scholes, Giggs, Beckham, Keane, Neville, Schmeichel and the rest.

I'm surprised there isn't more emphasis on classic teams on FIFA for this very reason. Ultimate Team seems to dabble with it, and I recall a few having a Classic World XI, but Man Utd '99, Arsenal '04, Chelsea '06, etc., would be great additions.

• Like 2

I don't know whether they'll show it on MOTD but look out for the most hilarious spray line you'll ever see prior to Everton's first today. Our players rightly refused to retreat back along the wobbly bit and it was eventually redrawn.

That one was funny. The rest of Lee Masons performance less so.