NFL 2019

Maxx

They saw what the Cardinals did with Rosen and decided to trade for him so they could do the same thing, is what it looks like.

Acquire highly touted young QB, put him behind a terrible line, get #1 overall pick, draft a QB, trade the other QB for a terrible return

• Like 2

I never had any hopes that Zeke wouldn't be out there for week 1.  Guys don't need preseason or even training camp anymore, they stay conditioned at home and for someone like Zeke that's probably all he needs.  They might limit his snaps but there's no way he won't be out there if and when the deal gets done.

If he somehow doesn't play, it becomes a must-win game for the Giants right out of the gate.  Without Zeke, they can focus on the pass and if they can't muster together any sort of a pass rush it's already clear that the season is going to be another trainwreck.

That said, I don't have much hope for the team anyway.  The last two years were awful because they got off to a 1-7 start both times leaving nothing to watch for.  At least if that happens this year, I'll still have a reason to watch since it means they can finally put Eli out to pasture and start the Jones era.

On a Giants message board I frequent, we tend to take guesses on the 53 going into camp and after each preseason game.  Seemed to be a close battle between TJ Jones and Alonzo Russell for the last WR spot.  Both guys had great preseasons across the board, both offensively and on special teams.  I figured only one would make it, but I would've found a way to keep both instead of a 3rd QB or 9th LB.

Russell had the best preseason of any Giant and made the initial cut, only to then be released today because they claimed some random WR from the Bengals.

So yeah, basing ANYTHING on preseason, even the back end of a roster, is a completely pointless exercise.

Predictions:

NFC East:  Eagles
NFC North:  Packers
NFC South:  Saints
NFC West:  Rams
NFC Wild Cards:  Cowboys and Seahawks

I have to go with the two East and West teams both making it again if only because those teams could all have a four-win headstart due to the other two teams in their respective divisions being among the worst in the league.  I have the Saints going back too, though I think a Bruce Arians-led Bucs team could give them a run for their money.  Toughest call for me was the North.  The Bears defense is amazing, but can a repeat performance be expected from them in a league that is constantly changing rules to the defense's detriment?  Packers won six games last year even with an extremely hobbled Rodgers, a healthy Rodgers with some new playmakers and an offensive-minded head coach could be trouble.

AFC East:  Patriots
AFC North:  Steelers
AFC South:  Texans
AFC West:  Chiefs
AFC Wild Cards:  Browns and Broncos

Pats will cakewalk to the division like they always do, and their schedule is so bad this year I think 14 wins is possible.  Chiefs and Texans win their divisions again - Chiefs because they're loaded offensively and Texans because even after losing Clowney and Miller, I think the Tunsil add is huge and if he can keep Watson upright I'm going to pick the team with the best QB to take the close division.  AFC North is being predicted by many as being a tight three team race and I could see all three making the playoffs, but I'm going with the Steelers to get back into the playoffs after a rare absence from them last year.  Not fully on the Browns hype train but I could see this being a very top heavy conference and 9-7 being all it takes to get a Wild Card so a whole bunch of teams hovering around that mark will have a chance.  Every year one playoff team seems to have a huge fall off and in this case I can see the Chargers taking a big step back with this Gordon distraction going on and them not really having any home games all season.  Conversely, usually one unexpected team makes it and I have a feeling Fangio's Broncos could emerge from a crowded Wild Card field.

Super Bowl 54:  Saints vs. Patriots

The Pats will get their annual bye to the AFC Title game and given that I'm projecting this game to be in Foxboro, how can I lay money against them in that spot?  NFC is a much tougher call, but I have a weird feeling the planets will align and we'll get the matchup that would've happened last year if not for a brutal call that then resulted in a rule change that will alter the sport for the worse.

Super Bowl Champion:  Patriots.  Sigh.  Not going on any limbs here but again, how can I pick against them at this point?  Brady wins ring #7, everyone hopes he'll retire on top, and instead he once again reaffirms his commitment to playing until 45.

Reverse fantasy next year?

For this topic I want to submit my “Anti-Fantasy” scoring settings (which I think are way more interesting than the “lowest score that isn’t a zero”)

My system is less about finding barely used players, but finding players who are used a lot and suck anyways

6pt for INT, -6 for any TD, 1pt per incompletion, -1 per 25 pass yards

4pt per carry, -1 per rush yard

4pt per target, -6 per reception, -1 per 20 rec yards

3pt for fumble, 3 more for losing it

I have kicker and DST settings too but they’re boring to type out

For reference, 2018’s top QBs were Darnold, Rosen, Mullens, Keenum. RBs: Blount, Hyde, McGuire, McCoy. WRs: kelvin benjamin, John brown. TEs: seals-jones (by a mile somehow)

2 hours ago, DMN said:

Reverse fantasy next year?

Tried it, it’s an utter mess, not very fun.

Vampire League is the one to try,  10 teams, but only 9 draft and the 10th fills their team off waivers.  No one else gets to touch free agents.  Every time they beat one of the other 9 teams, they get to take one of their players.

18 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Tried it, it’s an utter mess, not very fun.

Vampire League is the one to try,  10 teams, but only 9 draft and the 10th fills their team off waivers.  No one else gets to touch free agents.  Every time they beat one of the other 9 teams, they get to take one of their players.

I'm just looking for ways to turn my inability to not draft Raiders into a positive.

I'm also down to basically try any twist on fantasy football. Most of them aren't great. Is there a all-22 format? Draft o-line as a unit, get points based on rush yards, sack/pressures allowed, individual defensive players, let's get really into the weeds, I wanna draft third string defensive tackles.

Predictions:
-Could be a batshit insane year
-One point safety will be scored
-Single game passing yard record falls

DIVISIONAL SHITE:
AFC North: Coin toss between the Steelers and Browns going on a borderline ludicrous run late season to squeak in on tiebreakers. Leaning Steelers
AFC South: Texans
AFC West: Chargers
AFC East: Jets...... :lol: Pats as usual until Tobias retires
Wildcards: Ravens, Browns (if Steelers win division) or Jags (if Browns win)

NFC North: Bears get lucky?
NFC South: Saints unless Brees goes down for the year, then Bucs
NFC West: Rams
NFC East: Meacon's favorite team the Eagles
Wildcards: Vikings, Seahawks/Cowboys

Playoffs:
-If the Browns make post-season, they go on a 2017 Jags run and get to the AFC Title game before they remember that they're playing the Pats and shit the bed. If they don't shit the bed and somehow make the Super Bowl, it's because of Minneapolis Miracle 2-Gillette Boogaloo.
-Yearly controversial non-call in the Divisional or Championship round, bet is on pass interference.

SUPERB OWL 54
NFC wins this year over the Pats, leaning Rams or Saints. If the Pats do win, then it's because Tom Brady finally gets the SB-endgame Hail Mary to work on his third try.