The Emirates FA Cup 2019/20

Lineker

Klopp has long been an advocate of a winter break, with the Premier League this season introducing a pause of sorts next month with staggered weekends.

Liverpool received a letter on March 29 last year informing them of the Premier League's intention to introduce a winter break.

Under a section of the letter entitled "Activities Club are permitted to undertake during the Mid-Season Player Break", the Premier League has informed "Clubs are expected to honour and respect the underlining rationale for the Mid-Season Player Break, namely to provide their players with a break from the physical and mental rigours of playing matches during the season.

"Clubs should not arrange competitive or friendly matches with other clubs during the Mid-Season Player Break."

Premier League letter proves Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp right and now FA must make next move

To me, it makes more sense if Liverpool are going to field the Under 23s in the replay to leave it to the staff who actually work with those players to prepare for the match.

As far as I am concerned, the precedent was set when the League Cup didn't plan for the event that Liverpool would be in Qatar. The FA knew this Premier League break was coming and should have planned accordingly.

Let the players get some rest and the staff too. They don't have the physical strains of playing but there are mental and emotional demands that go into their job.  Klopp is interested in protecting the welfare of his players.  That seems pragmatic and fair.

The Premier League asking clubs to take a break and the FA scheduling the FA Cup replays during said break is's a bit like the implementation of VAR in English football. It's half-hearted and as a result, undercutting the purpose of doing the thing in the first place.

sorry but for real if Mourinho did this a great deal of Liverpool fans would be outraged

fair play to Klopp and all that, I personally don't give a shit and all power to him 

but the double standards is pretty fun - this definitely ain't aimed at you lot on here, (most of) you are lovely

• Like 2

This isn't Liverpool U23s vs Shrewsbury, it's Liverpool vs Shrewsbury. Whether he chooses to play a weaker side or not it's a Liverpool first team fixture, and the first team coach "leaving it to assistant" is incredibly arrogant twattery. 

1 hour ago, Mad Jack Frost said:

The Premier League break is poorly timed and the FA have no responsibility to abide by it. Frankly, if the Premier League wanted a break, they should've timed it better, and preferably before the FA Cup started.

The obvious answer is to remove the weekend game between the Boxing day and New Years fixtures. But that makes loads of money for Sky etc so won't happen.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Colly said:

This isn't Liverpool U23s vs Shrewsbury, it's Liverpool vs Shrewsbury. Whether he chooses to play a weaker side or not it's a Liverpool first team fixture, and the first team coach "leaving it to assistant" is incredibly arrogant twattery. 

The obvious answer is to remove the weekend game between the Boxing day and New Years fixtures. But that makes loads of money for Sky etc so won't happen.

Exactly my thoughts, and I am a fan of Klopp.

Personally, I think it is pragmatic. He's got players that won't get much rest in the Summer due to the Euros and Copa America. There's a Cup of Nations this time next year. Multiple different footballing bodies are demanding the time and energy of Liverpool, their staff and players - bodies who can't seem to line up their thinking on anything. Internally, Liverpool can control what they do.  The FA cup can take a hit for gains elsewhere.

I'd have no problem with any club doing the same. Most clubs do field heavily rotated sides anyway. I don't see putting a coach or youth manager in charge as much different.

There is too much football and too much reverence for domestic cup competitions that have long since ceased to be actually that important.

• Admin

Sheffield Wednesday v Manchester City
Reading or Cardiff City v Sheffield United
Chelsea v Shrewsbury Town or Liverpool
West Bromwich Albion v Newcastle United or Oxford United
Leicester City v Coventry City or Birmingham City
Northampton Town or Derby County v Manchester United
Southampton or Tottenham Hotspur v Norwich City
Portsmouth v Bournemouth or Arsenal

Apart from the VAR trying its damndest to find a reason to call Martinelli offside for Nketiahs goal, that was a very good first half. Sad to see Mustafi get stretchered off because he's actually put some decent passes together.

2 hours ago, Hobo said:

Personally, I think it is pragmatic. He's got players that won't get much rest in the Summer due to the Euros and Copa America. There's a Cup of Nations this time next year. Multiple different footballing bodies are demanding the time and energy of Liverpool, their staff and players - bodies who can't seem to line up their thinking on anything. Internally, Liverpool can control what they do.  The FA cup can take a hit for gains elsewhere.

I'd have no problem with any club doing the same. Most clubs do field heavily rotated sides anyway. I don't see putting a coach or youth manager in charge as much different.

There is too much football and too much reverence for domestic cup competitions that have long since ceased to be actually that important.

I don't think I can put into words how much I hate that last paragraph.

• Like 1

If people want to get pissed about Liverpool promising their players time off, and sticking to it, I don’t know what to tell you.

Doubt you’d like it if your work cancelled the holiday you had booked coz a customer shafted you on scheduling.

Relegate 4 teams from the premier league one season with 2 coming up. 18 team league, done.