The Emirates FA Cup 2019/20

Lineker

Liverpool have reduced the cost of tickets to the Shrewsbury game after Klopp's comments, meaning a potentially significant reduction in the gate (and therefore revenue cut) to Shrewsbury.

The FA apparently also promised Premier League clubs they'd give them Tuesday replays for some reason where possible, so as a result the game is unlikely to be televised (due to BBC already selecting Oxford/Newcastle and BT not wanting to clash), also drastically reducing the amount of money Shrewsbury will earn from the game.

This competition only loses its value when the governing body and the big clubs treat it as something lesser. Here is plenty of evidence for that in action.

12 minutes ago, Adam said:

Liverpool have reduced the cost of tickets to the Shrewsbury game after Klopp's comments, meaning a potentially significant reduction in the gate (and therefore revenue cut) to Shrewsbury.

The FA apparently also promised Premier League clubs they'd give them Tuesday replays for some reason where possible, so as a result the game is unlikely to be televised (due to BBC already selecting Oxford/Newcastle and BT not wanting to clash), also drastically reducing the amount of money Shrewsbury will earn from the game.

This competition only loses its value when the governing body and the big clubs treat it as something lesser. Here is plenty of evidence for that in action.

Easy to turn this point into the big bad  evil big club but both teams have been in consultation, as have supporters clubs and they all agreed to a revised pricing structure. Hell we don't actually know if they may have agreed to give Shrewsbury the full gate seen as though they agreed to the pricing revisions. 

Is it better to charge £50 odd quid for people to watch the u23s play Shrewsbury and therefore probably not get a big enough gate or actually get people to attend the game and create some form of atmosphere considering kids can go to the game for £1? 

7 minutes ago, Colly said:

What have they been reduced from/to? From memory it's only Man Utd I've seen try to fleece £45 out of fans for cup tickets. Our Oxford tickets were £10 for adults and £1 for kids, and sold out.

£15 an adult

£11.50 for over 65s

£5 quid for young adults 

£1 quid for kids 

I believe the Shrewsbury CEO said it was a 60% reduction, might have that wrong.

I'm all for cheaper Cup tickets, 100%, and I do believe United are the only big team who usually charge obscene prices for games against lower league opposition, however I feel it is worth noting in this case that Shrewsbury's CEO said that the reduction in the agreed ticket price was down to Klopp saying he was sending the kids. It's relevant to the issue being discussed regarding Klopp taking the competition for granted.

The TV issue is probably the bigger one here and from what I can see that is more the fault of the governing body, but it all plays into the ongoing contempt shown by those at the top to clubs and fans in the lower leagues.

I think if the domestic cups are so important to the lower league teams then the cups should only be restricted to them

...wow. Breathtakingly arrogant and a complete fundamental misunderstanding of the sport. Sure, fuck all the teams and fans outside the top 6.

Edited by 9 to 5
  • Like 5

• Admin

Liverpool have arranged for Jürgen Klopp to watch their FA Cup replay against Shrewsbury on a laptop while he takes a mid-season break and Neil Critchley takes the team at Anfield.

Klopp will be absent from the fourth-round tie on Tuesday night, along with all his senior squad, having taken a pre-arranged break and what he also admitted was a stand against fixture congestion in English football. He will be able to watch the game on a laptop connected to LFC TV’s live feed.

Critchley, Liverpool’s under-23s coach, will instead lead a team of “under-19s, under-20s at best” against the League One side in front of more than 50,000 supporters. Liverpool have sold their entire allocation of tickets, reduced to £15 for adults and £1 for juniors, and Critchley insisted Klopp had earned the right to miss a replay that clashed with the Premier League leaders’ rest period. He also expects Klopp to get in contact during the game should he see fit, having done so during the Carabao Cup defeat at Aston Villa when Liverpool also deployed a youthful side under Critchley with their first-team squad away at the Club World Cup.

Critchley revealed: “Jürgen sent through a message at half-time [against Villa], which I have to say was brilliant at that moment. Even though we were going off the pitch thinking: ‘We’ve played all right there but we’re getting beat 4-0,’ it creates that element of doubt in your mind about whether you are doing the right thing and if you need to do something different.

“So when you get a message from the manager saying: ‘Don’t change anything, carry on doing what you’re doing, you’ve been brilliant,’ it clears all that doubt in your mind and you can give that message to the players. The message killed every doubt and settled them right down. It helped everyone at that moment. I didn’t have my phone on me but the message came through one of the staff. That option is available tomorrow but that’s up to the manager.

“Another great quality of the manager is he trusts people to do their job. The best support he gives the players is he gives them an opportunity. I don’t know what more support you could wish for as a young player. I know there has been a lot spoken going into the game, but there has been total clarity around the decision and we all support the decision. We all follow him because he has earned that.”

Curtis Jones, who turned 19 only last week, is in line to captain Liverpool for the first time and Critchley admits his players must cope better with Shrewsbury’s physical strength than they were able to at Villa.

“When you are playing against men who are fully matured and developed physically they have an advantage,” he added. “But maybe we can play our way and take that advantage away a little bit. If our boys want to have a career in football then they need to cope with that side of the game and with nights like this.”

Klopp's gonna have to spend every 20 minutes trying to find a new stream and muting the chatroom that's alongside the stream

• Like 5

4 hours ago, stokeriño said:

TBH the more emphasis I read on just how young/weak the Liverpool team is going to be, the more convinced I am that Shrewsbury are losing.

What sort of a team would lose to the Liverpool youth team? :shifty: 

The FA have decided to not let any international broadcasters air tonight's replay between Liverpool & Shrewsbury. 

BT Sport apparently also offered to air it live but the FA also refused that. 

Basically this is turning into a pissing contest between Klopp/Liverpool and the FA over the winter break and fixture congestion...with Shrewsbury being the losers of it all. 

• Like 1