Formula One 2020

Lineker

7 hours ago, Chris2K said:

I also think it's a bit of a dick move with such short notice

That's Honda decision making for you. They pulled the plug out of Honda F1 on a whim's notice to the point where Ross Brawn and other Honda F1 decisionmakers (had no clue that Honda stopping their project was even on the agenda and) had to tell the then CEO that UK labour laws couldn't let Honda just delete an entire programme from one day to the next.

Brawn and Co. had to scramble just to get the then CEO to agree on a potential last-minute takeover, and it would end up being Ross Brawn himself taking control, and the rest is history.

Honda, sadly, has a bad reputation of being extremely trigger happy with their projects, dropping them from one week to the next.

It sucks for F1 though, less suppliers is always a worse situation in my eyes. Red Bull find themselves in a pickle, not necessarily because they couldn't find a supplier (F1 rules dictate the supplier with the least ongoing engine deals (Renault) has to supply a team if a team needs one.), but it definitely puts a huge dent into any near-future plans for true independent competition with Ferrari and Mercedes.

Can Red Bull find success with Renault engines again? Yes, definitely, I honestly feel they have a better chance getting something out of the Renault engines than Alpine-Renault or McLaren-Renault will. But unless they manage to pull in a new supplier like BMW/Audi/Cosworth-Ford/Toyota/Etc., they'll never enjoy the development control they had with Honda in the past years.

And at this point, I don't see any engine supplier joining unless the next regs make it interesting enough to play ball in a world where engine development becomes more and more focused on size and efficiency, because F1 has always been a platform that was far removed from consumer reality.

7 hours ago, Chris2K said:

I would think it's more of a climate conscious issue than a financial one.

While I understand that, I also think it's a bit of a dick move with such short notice, given how the Red Bull teams have salvaged Honda's reputation after the McLaren debacle.

Apparently they need to shift all their resources to developing carbon neutral road cars. That’s the media line  at the moment.

There are rumours that Horner and Marko are meeting with Mateschitz to pitch him purchasing the IP rights to the current Honda engine, then using the Mugen name, although it would essentially be Red Bull being their own engine supplier.

• Like 1

What does everyone think about the remaining seats next year?

I think with Alpha Tauri becoming a ‘sister team’ to Red Bull that Gasly and Albon will stay in place. I think Hulk might then take the 2nd seat at AT.

Although they’re talking now on commentary that Tsunoda might still have a seat at AT despite Honda pulling out.

Schumacher and Kimi at Alfa Romeo. Illott and Perez at Haas.

Which leaves Kyvat, Grosjean, Magnussen, giovinazzi and possibly Hulk without a seat. Although if Kimi retires I can see Hulk at AR to help Mick.

I suspect any team with a choice between Perez and Hulk takes Perez and all his sponsor money.

Fog stopped P1 happening at the Nurburgring and could stop P2 today as well

This is because a medical helicopter couldn't land/take off and the circuit is too far by road form the nearest hospital.

Knock on of this is that Mick Schumacher did not get his runout as expected and will have to wait for another race weekend.

2 hours ago, Chris2K said:

Hulk in for Stroll is a wonderful thing, but the poor guy had absolutely no chance to just jump in the car and qualify. RP should have made a decision before FP3 to at least give him some laps beforehand.

Bit of a rain and he can still podium!

One Mercedes goes out and the race becomes so much more interesting to fight for third.

There's part of me that wonders if they retired Albon because they were sick of him destroying his tyres. Not a good race at all for him, meanwhile Hulkenberg is sniffing 7th after starting last. I like Albon, but if there's a chance of Hulk getting the second Red Bull seat...

Meanwhile now Kimi has the record for starts he really should call it a day. His lack of caring is getting tiresome and he's taking up a seat that could be given to a future star.

9 constructors scored points today. Sure people can guess the one that didn’t.

Hulk doing himself a lot of favours for a drive next year. Partnering Max at RB would be excellent. Seems patience is wearing thin for Albon but Horner doesn’t seem the type to quickly backtrack on his decision to relegate Gasly.

Might be a case of Kyvat not having a seat, Albon and Gasly at AT and have Hulk at RB for a year or two while the other two develop and prove themselves in the same machinery.

Marko has done an interview that is essentially they’ve got 3 seats locked in for next year (Max at RB, Tsunoda and Gasly at AT) and that if they need to replace Albon they will look at Hulk and Check.

Albon basically has until the Turkish Grand Prix to prove himself with expectation that he is at least within 3/10ths of Max.

So the Italian media are reporting that Perez is being tempted to join Williams, in place of Latifi, right? No, in place of George Russell, because Latifi = money and Russell is just a Mercedes development driver.

This would mean that Russell, who was all set to join Mercedes in 2021 in place of Bottas until the previous Williams owners said he couldn't because of his contract with Williams, will be ditched by Williams and might not even be on the grid next year.

Here's the article for those who speak Italian.

Oh man, that is really rough on Russell.

Another option for RB. I’m guessing he won’t turn down a RB seat even if it means giving up his Mercedes association. Better than no seat unless Mercedes guarantees a 2022 seat for him.

Im guessing Haas and AR won’t bat an eyelid at him though.

In fact, looks like Checo is turning to Williams because Haas have lined up Mazepin from F2 and I assume Calum Illot in the other seat for that sweet, sweet Ferrari money.

Then Kimi and Schumacher at AR.

Alpha Tauri is looking more and more like Gasly and Tsunoda.

So you’re looking at Albon, Hulk or Russell at Red Bull.

Edited by Twist