Premier League 2020/21

METALMAN

Strange decision with relegation all but assured. It'd frankly be embarrassing for them to bring in one of the revolving door of English managers like West Brom did with Allardyce. They'll just be dropping anyway and I'd have felt Wilder was a better choice than anyone else to attempt and see them back to the PL next season.

Sheffield United may be doing badly now, but Wilder has a great record in recent years. He's got teams promoted from every league from the National League upwards. I'd have thought that he's exactly the person you'd want to take you back up.

Too much logic going on in this thread - Sheff Utd's owner hasn't got a clue, hasn't backed Wilder with the signings he wanted in the past couple of transfer windows and likely has no concept of the fact that Wilder is probably the only manager around who would've gotten that club into the Premier League in the first place. Sounds like he's been let go because he doesn't get on with Prince Abdullah and isn't the type to sit and accept things being done the wrong way.

2 hours ago, Hobo said:

When it comes to Sheffield Utd, I am always just kinda struck by the fact Enda Stevens is a first choice player for them.

In my head, he's still the guy from the Shamrock Rovers Europa League squad that got bought by Villa and subsequently ended up mooching around the lower divisions. Where I figured he'd stay for the rest of his career.

I wouldn't say that Enda Stevens ever "mooched around the lower leagues". He had two fruitful loan spells with Doncaster, then was part of a well-backed promotion team at Portsmouth and then signed for Sheffield United at the top end of the Championship.

One of the main elements of Wilder's Sheffield United promotion teams was that he brought in players on the up in their careers, players with lots of potential but who had been discarded or under-utilised at bigger clubs like Lundstram, O'Connell, Egan, Stevens and Fleck, who all played a big role in last season's successful Blades team as well.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Adam said:

I wouldn't say that Enda Stevens ever "mooched around the lower leagues". He had two fruitful loan spells with Doncaster, then was part of a well-backed promotion team at Portsmouth and then signed for Sheffield United at the top end of the Championship.

In my head he did though. I know its not fully accurate. :P I just have this thing where I assume on average a LOI player who makes a big transfer to an English club will flounder, maybe go to a couple of clubs and then wind up back in Ireland.

• Like 1

Our 13th center half partnership today, 18 if you count playing a back 3. Not one of those 18 has featured what is likely our first choice pairing.

Obviously that sounds worse if you say it in a Scouse accent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The commentator just said that the Brighton manager told the fans "to enjoy him while you can", in reference to one of their players because he's capable of playing for a bigger club. What a fucking pathetic attitude to have. Are clubs genuinely just content to not get relegated?

On Wilder, as a Blade I'm not angry, I'm just sad it didn't work out. 

Essentially, from what I've heard/pieced together, from the board's perspective, he has wasted a certain amount of money on players that haven't performed. McBurnie hasn't been worth 20mil, for example.

The final straw for them was spending so much on Brewster, 20+ again and no goals. This was when he'd been told that there wasn't the budget for it, so it was very much a 'this one has to work out' type deal. You've got to remember our budget is tiny compared to any other Prem club, and we've just suddently spend upwards of 60-70 mil out of nowhere. 

Basically, the board wanted to appoint a Director of Football to handle transfers and make him more of a 'Head Coach'. This didn't sit well from his perspective who is old school and believes the manager should do everything and have the freedom to do so. 

To me, both can be in the right here and its just that their views aren't comptible. :(

11 minutes ago, Kaney said:

Apparently he was late. He's still on the bench.

Yeah, Lord Ornstein has said he was late to a team meeting and it wasn’t the first time. 

You're the captain mate, you need to be there.

Looks like Son has done his hamstring.