Premier League 2021/22

Lineker

Salah is the best player in the world right now. There's no doubt about it 

The form he's been on the last few seasons and he just keeps getting better imo

Give him whatever he wants. Build a pyramid on Bramley Moore Dock 

• Haha 1

I'm finding it harder to support Ole the more the campaign goes on, we have had no improvement from when Mourinho was in charge if anything we've gone backwards. He's had longer than Mourinho had and spent more money but are no better. The other issue if he was sacked tomorrow who would replace him and would they improve?  The team will play good for a few games then probably go back to being rubbish. Liverpool, City and Chelsea are miles ahead of us and there are other teams below that could end up challenging or replacing us in the top 4

I think Ole is very much like Lampard was at Chelsea. An overmatched manager who is bailed out just enough by the elite talent on his squad. The thing right now is I don't know who you could easily bring in to replace him. Maybe Man Utd should accept he can get them into Europe at his very worst, ride out the season, and then have a good selection of managerial candidates in the summer.

Check me out, I'm horrible paper famous. Apologies of course for linking to the Mail. Love the fact the other guy is from the supporters trust and I'm probably the only dissenting voice they could find...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10099377/Newcastle-Amid-turmoil-Amanda-Staveley-happy-finally-game-football.html

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Colly said:

Check me out, I'm horrible paper famous. Apologies of course for linking to the Mail. Love the fact the other guy is from the supporters trust and I'm probably the only dissenting voice they could find...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10099377/Newcastle-Amid-turmoil-Amanda-Staveley-happy-finally-game-football.html

And you didn't even dissent that much, which is not a knock by the way.

It's a decent article with some valid points, regardless of which paper it is in. Craig Hope is fairly well regarded round here as far as I know which helps.

I'm just glad I don't finish work until after kick-off. It's going to be bedlam round town this afternoon I imagine.

15 minutes ago, Adam said:

And you didn't even dissent that much, which is not a knock by the way.

Agreed entirely, if I had actual principles I wouldn't be going. My original ramble was far longer but the journo (not Craig Hope) chopped it a bit and let me approve it. I'm just hoping I still get into the ground...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Colly said:

They were surely looking for someone who said that thanks to the takeover they were no longer going to support the club, and your response was the closest they got. Overall you made the points well, and I think the other respondent opened with a really good point as well. At a point it's hard to envision the club surviving further years under Ashley and another relegation. With so many clubs flirting with financial ruin I completely get (and largely felt) the sense of relief that at worse Newcastle aren't going belly-up due to mismanagement or greed. But it does matter who owns a sports team, they're no longer tied to the community at large and most major teams throughout the world are just investment vehicles for someone or some group. Even if you don't want it to matter, at least being able to say "yes our ownership aren't good people" seems a bare minimum requirement.

There's also the dreams of trophies and world-class players, I think many supporters are forgiven if that's what they see initially as well. This is the significant majority of supporters of any team in the world, and they prefer not to pay attention to how the sausage gets made. Granted, Mike Ashley left everyone no choice for over a decade. And he was an abnormally major presence for the club, someone you could never ignore. Going back to my first point I think right now a lot of supporters are wishfully thinking they can ignore who owns the club and just support it, but they'll be mixed in with the worst elements who are going to be dressed in Saudi garb and probably flying Saudi flags at SJP today.

• Like 1