NFL 2021

Lineker

To be fair, while those situations suck in their own right, there isn't proof (yet???) like in this situation so of course the NFL would lean on that more than actually investigate root cause issues. That would mean trying to make a big public show about it and (over?)punishing the Giants. 

In reality they're going to react a lot more harsher to the Dolphins stuff. 

The lawsuit mentions that Tim McDonnell, the Giants’ co-director of player personnel (and John Mara’s nephew) texted Flores on within hours of Joe Judge being fired, telling him to “come win the fucking job”.

Which lends credence to ownership having Flores as their top choice.  But they hired a new GM who wanted a qualified candidate he was more familiar with.

Still fucking sucks for Flores (and Leslie Frazier) that they got flown in to interview for a job they probably knew there was no chance of getting.

4 hours ago, CM Busch said:

The lawsuit mentions that Tim McDonnell, the Giants’ co-director of player personnel (and John Mara’s nephew) texted Flores on within hours of Joe Judge being fired, telling him to “come win the fucking job”.

Which lends credence to ownership having Flores as their top choice.  But they hired a new GM who wanted a qualified candidate he was more familiar with.

Still fucking sucks for Flores (and Leslie Frazier) that they got flown in to interview for a job they probably knew there was no chance of getting.

I'm not really sure that lends much credence to that other than McDonnell knowing Flores and knowing he'd be in the mix. Especially because if he's the top choice, he shouldn't really have to "come win the fucking job" to begin with. It'd be his to lose. 

That said, the bigger issue is the latter in which they're only bringing candidates in to fill a quota. Daboll is a fine hire and makes a lot of sense since they just hired a guy from the same organization to be the GM. It's pretty bad to let it leak outside the organization that you already found your guy when you still have guys to interview, it's even worse when you're bringing in minority candidates because you need to meet a certain quota. Based on the experience he had with the Broncos interview in 2019, I do not blame him Flores for just being tired of this shit. 

Speaking of fulfilling an interview quota...Jim Harbaugh was reportedly saying goodbye to staffers in Michigan.  He’s going to Minnesota tomorrow, to “interview” for a job where it’s clear he’s being hired.

Meanwhile as all this was happening, the Vikings were interviewing Patrick Graham.  The interview was said to have lasted nine hours, all for a job that he seems to have no shot of getting.

I don’t think anyone can ultimately debate the Daboll or Harbaugh hires, but these rules literally require them to waste the other candidates’ time.  Same thing with internal promotions, as we saw with the Bills needing to interview two minorities for a job they never actually viewed as available since Dorsey was getting the job.

In the Vikings case, it sounded like Demeco Ryans and Raheem Morris both had good 2nd interviews and that for awhile it was being reported that Miami was the frontrunner for Harbaugh, not MN

6 hours ago, Krabby said:

In the Vikings case, it sounded like Demeco Ryans and Raheem Morris both had good 2nd interviews and that for awhile it was being reported that Miami was the frontrunner for Harbaugh, not MN

Nope.  Ryans cancelled his second interview, which was supposed to be his in-person one.  From the standpoint of the Rooney Rule, Ryans didn't count toward anything because they're required to meet two minority candidates in person.  With him cancelling, they needed to see Pat Graham in person before they can even possibly hire Harbaugh.  They've now "checked the box" and are free and clear to hire Harbaugh today if they want.

Setting aside racism and even the NFL, you see major issues with recruiting even in everyday companies.  I was a recruiter at two previous companies and it really blew my mind how often the hiring manager would come into a job search already knowing who they wanted to hire.  Very often they already knew their preferred candidate personally.  But we still had to go through the job search procedures so as a recruiter it feels powerless because I'm talking to other candidates on the phone about a job that, deep down, I feel the manager won't give them a fair chance at getting.  Even if a manager goes into a job search blind and you hand them the resumes of three candidates they don't know, chances are they'll rank them 1-3 in their mind and then when the interview comes they are just waiting for #1 to give them any reason to come off of their initial instinct.

So it's even worse at the NFL level because owners, GMs etc all have their own networks they can draw candidates for or pump their contacts for information on a candidate they might not know.  And all of this is done before ever meeting the guy and talking to them with a clean slate.

Really don't know a solution short of an extreme measure like recruiting being entirely handled by a third party with a team having no say in the candidates or the hiring decision.  And that's never happening.

• Thanks 1

It's hard to 100% eliminate bias in the hiring process. My company loves hiring people straight out of college and moreso out of certain colleges, because there's a recruiting pipeline established. If two equal candidates apply and one is from Virginia Tech while the other is from Goucher College (small liberal arts focused school near Baltimore) the Virginia Tech applicant is going to win out. 

This has had a clear knock-on effect with HBCUs, and in this region there are a ton of HBCUs. They've started to rectify that from what I understand, but there's still the preconceived notion that applicants from Virginia Tech, James Madison, University of Maryland are better candidates. And they have a leg-up because they get face-to-face time with recruiters and current staff/alumni of those schools who go to the campuses regularly.

Anyway, that's far down from where the NFL is but it's exceptionally hard to completely override some level of bias in hiring. And in a leadership position you generally want to have support from people you know/can relate to. I know I suggested it before but NFL coach hiring solely being the domain of front offices would generally be an improvement. You'd still have handpicked people like Daboll and McDaniels who have an existing relationship with their GM but you'd also get more outside-the-box hires and likely minority hires since GMs need a good coach for their own job security. Imperfect system but still an improvement.

12 minutes ago, damshow said:

Whoa those Commanders uniforms are baaaaaad.

If the black uniform had the W on the side of the helmet instead of on the front with the # on the side, it would look halfway decent.

But good lord, it looks like they didn't put any thought at all into a decent logo. 

They look like a college team more than a pro one.

Still gonna get ribbed over the name, though. After a big loss, fans could say "Well, I guess the coach commanded them to suck!"

I wish they had gone with Redhogs, but at least they didn't go with Defenders.....

Edited by GhostMachine

1 hour ago, CM Busch said:

Nope.  Ryans cancelled his second interview, which was supposed to be his in-person one.  From the standpoint of the Rooney Rule, Ryans didn't count toward anything because they're required to meet two minority candidates in person.  With him cancelling, they needed to see Pat Graham in person before they can even possibly hire Harbaugh.  They've now "checked the box" and are free and clear to hire Harbaugh today if they want.

Oh shoot, I thought I had seen Ryans had a 2nd but must-have missed that they canceled it. I am all for the Harbaugh hire but stinks that the others may not have gotten a fair shake and that JH got fast tracked seemingly.