FIFA World Cup 2022

Lineker

I'd dare say Wales should be the bigger worry for England fans, if only because that squad has a good level of creativity. The US has a lot of squad questions. My perception is they're going to try playing a grind-it-out disciplined style instead of going for wins. I wouldn't be surprised to see Wright starting and using his size as an advantage, I can't really rationalize why he got brought unless it was because Ferreira is too tiny for some of these matches.

The midfield trio will be good and a lot falls on how they can dictate the overall match. If they just get completely outclassed the US has no shot but if they can at least help in controlling possession and the pace of the match then the US can grind out some tough points and possibly finish 2nd.

Also, CB is a glaring hole and one that England and Wales especially can exploit with ease. I've been told Iran are a potentially surprising squad but I've not seen enough of them to really have any conclusion. No matter it's England at the top with their lone threat really being someone like Gareth Bale doing something incredible.

• Like 2

image.png
Phonzie is thankfully in following an injury scare, Jonathan David hopefully brings his goal scoring boots and it is fantastic to see 39 year old Atiba Hutchinson finally get to a World Cup after being Canada’s most consistent and caring player through 20 years of absolute steaming garbage.

I go into this tournament with no expectations but kudos to the CSA for revamping the way the game is approached in Canada and providing us with this grassroots, golden generation of players that’s fronted by a Canada loving refugee.

image.png

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Moses Julep said:

Phonzie is thankfully in following an injury scare, Jonathan David hopefully brings his goal scoring boots and it is fantastic to see 39 year old Atiba Hutchinson finally get to a World Cup after being Canada’s most consistent and caring player through 20 years of absolute steaming garbage.

I go into this tournament with no expectations but kudos to the CSA for revamping the way the game is approached in Canada and providing us with this grassroots, golden generation of players that’s fronted by a Canada loving refugee.

As one of the remnants who remember Mexico 86... I have but one dream for WC 2022...

For Canada to score a goal.

That is it. Everything will be bonuses after that.

I would have taken Hutchinson as a mentor if he could not play. No one deserves to be there more. Canada Soccer survived 2 decades (at least) of some of the worst management possible. It was undiluted incompetence. Atiba remained loyal to the team through it all.

I also suspect some Canadians to empress enough for moves to bigger clubs for larger sums. David & Buchanan almost certainly. Perhaps Johnston, Larin & Koné (if he plays.)

This time the team didn't have to fund raise to get enough money for travel to the World Cup... all the way to Mexico.

Good thing it wasn't in exotic footballing place like Spain(82) or Italy(90).

Edited by Beeker00Zero
Fund raising link
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Cymbols said:

Started off as a striker for Vancouver, makes sense to have your most dangerous player in a position where he can be more effective. We played Bale as an attacking wide man when he was still fully a left back at Southampton and Spurs.

That’s pretty much it really. Phonzie is a marauding wing back for Bayern but we’ve got him pushing higher for Canada to create more chances. 

19 minutes ago, Beeker00Zero said:

I would have taken Hutchinson as a mentor if he could not play. No one deserves to be there more. Canada Soccer survived 2 decades (at least) of some of the worst management possible. It was undiluted invompetence. Atiba remained loyal to the team through it all.

Good thing it wasn't in exotic footballing places like Spain or Italy.

I have seen games over the last twenty years where Canada was struggling to beat teams that aren’t even officially recognized countries and Atiba was the only dude busting his ass to accomplish anything. I cannot think of a current international player that deserves a World Cup more than he does.

• Like 1

Canada's group is very hard to rate. I could see Belgium imploding, getting 1 point. I could also see Belgium steamrolling the entire World Cup. See mostly the same for Croatia.

Canada seems like they could and will be a tricky out. They score a lot and play good defense which feels like enough to steal some points.

5 hours ago, damhausen said:

Canada's group is very hard to rate. I could see Belgium imploding, getting 1 point. I could also see Belgium steamrolling the entire World Cup. See mostly the same for Croatia.

Canada seems like they could and will be a tricky out. They score a lot and play good defense which feels like enough to steal some points.

It is an interesting group. Not a vaunted Group of Death but a Collection of Mysteries.

How will Canada perform on the world stage under the brightest of spotlights? Does Belgium put things together for a deep run? Does Croatia recapture the magic of 4 years ago? Does Morocco upset the stories as they are a good but underappreciated side?

Like I said. As long as Canada scores, I will be happy. Anything beyond that is but unexpected blessings.

1 hour ago, Baddar said:

@9 to 5

Legend.

12 minutes ago, METALMAN said:

Aww that poor guy. He’s just setting himself up to be attacked by random internet beer snobs: “That beer is rubbish, all real Ecuadorian beer connoisseurs prefer El Pezón.”

I mean it's an idea you're probably gonna cheap out on, no-one doing it for the beer over the novelty is picking Camden Hells.

I'm aware I've proved your point a bit :shifty: