FIFA World Cup 2022

Lineker

15 hours ago, damhausen said:

There are plenty of tactical decisions that can change things but who the hell is matching up to that overall squad quality? Brazil right now is almost at the point where the names that weren't included could also qualify for the World Cup.

Talent wise alone? France match them.

I know I'm likely very biased on the topic, but what's the neutral view on Trippier starting for England, at very least at left back but potentially at the right? I honestly had no idea how good he was, without any doubt the best right back I've seen at Newcastle in 30 odd years (albeit it's never been one of our stronger positions). Defensively sound, but with so much attacking threat (the anticipation and assist for Willock's goal on Sunday was outstanding) and he absolutely controls the defense and even midfield at times. Obviously there's a mini injury crisis anyway which boosts his chances, but I struggle to see anyone better currently.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colly said:

I know I'm likely very biased on the topic, but what's the neutral view on Trippier starting for England, at very least at left back but potentially at the right? I honestly had no idea how good he was, without any doubt the best right back I've seen at Newcastle in 30 odd years (albeit it's never been one of our stronger positions). Defensively sound, but with so much attacking threat (the anticipation and assist for Willock's goal on Sunday was outstanding) and he absolutely controls the defense and even midfield at times. Obviously there's a mini injury crisis anyway which boosts his chances, but I struggle to see anyone better currently.

It might be my Chelsea bias showing but, in an injury-free world, I'd be starting Reece James with TAA as the probable backup. Until recently, I still considered Kyle Walker to be a decent cover option for RB/CB but it sounds like Ben White should be filling that role in the squad these days.

Trippier definitely makes the squad as a versatile player who can fill in on either side, and for his reputation as a set piece taker. Given that Luke Shaw is inconsistent at the best of times, and Ben Chilwell is clearly always going to have injury concerns looming over him now, Trippier most likely starts on the left for me and switches over to the right if James can't play, as I just don't trust TAA defensively enough to play him from kickoff, or in any game where a decent attacking threat could jeopardise England's chances of progressing.

2 hours ago, Colly said:

I know I'm likely very biased on the topic, but what's the neutral view on Trippier starting for England, at very least at left back but potentially at the right? I honestly had no idea how good he was, without any doubt the best right back I've seen at Newcastle in 30 odd years (albeit it's never been one of our stronger positions).

How dare you dismiss the reputation of England international Warren Barton.

8 hours ago, Colly said:

Trippier, TAA and White would be the three RBs for me with Walker injured, and of those three I would start Trippier. He is bang in form, is an attacking and set piece threat, and crucially has significant tournament experience at the highest level, including scoring in the last World Cup semi-final.

Tripper will be starting right back. 

Deserves it on merit, Southgate seems to like him and he fits the tactics. 

Not that I care like. 

3 minutes ago, METALMAN said:

Oh well. One of the things on my very small list of reasons for watching the World Cup was the possibility that Senegal might do well. That’s under severe threat now.

One might say it's Senegalling.

It'd be interesting to do a retrospective comparison of how this World Cup unfolds versus what could've happened if it was held at the usual time. The sheer number of injuries alone will make it a drastically different tournament.

• Like 1

Are there actually more injuries? It feels like when anyone gets an injury we jump to "winter World Cup", even if it isn't a wear and tear muscular one. Obviously there's less time between the last domestic fixtures and the first game so slightly less time to recover from something little, but other than that there are always a couple of high profile casualties on the way in.

• Like 3