FIFA World Cup 2022

Lineker

14 hours ago, damhausen said:

Half my friends are degenerate gamblers and they were impressed.

And those guys know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.

Could've taught Ivan Toney a thing or two about when to walk away and when to run.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Now the tournament is closer I still don't know how I feel. 

Ethically, I really should not be watching it. The appalling human rights issues, the horrible record with LGBTQ+, this being obvious sportswashing and a world cup won on obvious bribery. 

But...I just want to watch the football 

It sucks, but I guess you have to ask yourself whether you'd prefer to boycott the entire thing out of principle, or watch it anyway out of love for the game knowing that the only one missing out by not watching is you. Even if viewing figures are down by millions compared to previous World Cup's, it's going ahead regardless and won't make a blind bit of difference in the long run.

• Like 2

That's it for me, not watching it on ITV or the BBC is not going to make any impact as a protest whatsoever, and my wife quite rightly pointed out that all these recent stands being made (bloody hell, even Blatter speaking out) are far too little too late given how much time has passed since the announcement. It's clearly happening, so not watching it achieves nowt.

We were due to watch the USA game in our local gig venue on a big screen, but having only started advertising two weeks ago and taken bookings (free thankfully) they've now cancelled in protest. They showed the Russia World Cup, and realistically all they've now done is deprived themselves of some beer money.

I absolutely think protest should happen, and Joe Lycett's stand against David Beckham is excellent, but as a general nobody you shouldn't feel too guilty at watching it on TV.

• Like 2

I think you can watch the matches on terrestrial television while still opposing the human rights offences. The last three World Cups were in Russia, Brazil and South Africa, all of which were particularly appalling choices. I certainly wouldn't buy official merchandise or anything like that, though.

Whatever the case, I'm hoping that enough noise will be made to at least bring the problems to greater public attention. That's something that hasn't really happened on a big scale in the past when it should have done.

30 minutes ago, Hobo said:

Wouldn't FIFA likely be in breach of contract with Budweiser if they did?