FIFA World Cup 2022

Lineker

Just now, Adam said:

He was offside, just. The goalkeeper was so far out of his goal that he played the forward offside.

People forget the offside rule is two players behind, not necessarily one and the goalkeeper.

I still think there were two defenders between him and the goal from what I could see/remember.

3 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I think Qatar's goalkeeper was someone they picked up at the bus stop.

Was going to make a joke about he's probably the one Qatar born player and then I checked, and he is. Make of that what you will.

31 minutes ago, Colly said:

I really need to see that offside at half time, that virtual replay thing just baffled me as to which player it was meant to be, I assumed the guy who headed before the assist but it was very unclear.

Well there it is. And I still don't know which player was offside and at what stage.

33 minutes ago, Colly said:

It was the number 11, the guy who headed it before the volleyed assist. BBC didn't explain it well at all.

But the goalie punched it into his face and I swear they gave him offside in the moment it hit his face as well. He so played it and was the one offside?

Edited by Twist

The keeper punched it at Torres' head, at which point Estrada (the 11) was offside as per the tech, and he's the one who heads back to Torres for the volley across. BBC highlighted Torres wrongly in my view, it's a very tight decision but it's probably correct.