FIFA World Cup 2022

Lineker

The time to boycott would've been 2014. When you still could've forced FIFA's hand, especially as that was when they were in a bit of turmoil themselves. However the world "got together" for that edition and again in 2018 without pressuring FIFA about this World Cup. So the greedy folks at FIFA just kowtowed to the Qatari royal family and oligarchs, let them get away with everything they did and continue to do, and it's going ahead regardless. 

The banning of beer sales for the peasants is so on point and expected. This entire World Cup is so Qatar can show off for the rich and powerful, make them have a good time, and give them the impression that Qatar is "a misunderstood place". Any average person traveling for this is just a necessary cog to fill stadiums and nothing else.

The alcohol being sold in corporate areas only now just completely nullifies the argument of religious reasons. 

It's a ballsy move to do it so close to the tournament but this whole thing is a charade anyway

I had this absurd thought of FIFA going full WWE with this World Cup, having Qatar reach the final by blatant cheating and corruption, only to be beaten narrowly by plucky babyface Denmark. But, oh no! Out comes Mr. Infantino, the evil boss, telling them Denmark is only considered world champion if they beat Russia immedeatily - playing with 13 men and captained by Putin himself.

• Haha 1

@Colly

Will try and get my predictor sheet to you later. Having a nightmare editing it on my phone so I'll attempt it on the laptop when I get chance.

Put some small bets on the tournament today.

The 8 group winners I picked (basically the favourites, but Germany ahead of Spain) was 35/1.

My missus also picked the group winners but had Germany over Spain and Denmark above France, and that was 70/1.

There was also a ridiculous longshot bet on Sky which was 125/1 - Qatar and Saudi Arabia to lose all 3, Nunez to score 3+ and Modric to score a goal.

Not as ridiculous as the 5000/1 shot on Paddy Power which was for Wales to win the tournament and Chris Gunter top scorer. 😄

• Like 2

20 hours ago, entiel said:

I had this absurd thought of FIFA going full WWE with this World Cup, having Qatar reach the final by blatant cheating and corruption, only to be beaten narrowly by plucky babyface Denmark. But, oh no! Out comes Mr. Infantino, the evil boss, telling them Denmark is only considered world champion if they beat Russia immedeatily - playing with 13 men and captained by Putin himself.

The only flaw in this is that FIFA would absolutely portray themselves as babyfaces, in spite of all reason or evidence.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DavidMarrio said:

The whole conference is something.... 

Absolutely repulsive but what else do we expect 

He knows discrimination because he was bullied for his red hair. The guy is basically every bad faith political commentator we have sucking up airwaves here in the US. Almost makes you long for Sepp Blatter.

1 hour ago, Baddar said:

And now Benzema will miss the World Cup too.

France are down a few first team players already, but that one is a real blow.

Fortunately, Benzema is a tosser so I'm not too fussed he's missed out on maybe his last World Cup and at a time when he is arguably at his peak. Oh well.