FIFA World Cup 2022

Lineker

11 minutes ago, Colly said:

The keeper punched it at Torres' head, at which point Estrada (the 11) was offside as per the tech, and he's the one who heads back to Torres for the volley across. BBC highlighted Torres wrongly in my view, it's a very tight decision but it's probably correct.

Ahh okay. On top of all that, I’m not actually sure the Qatar player they measured against was the second man back either. Couple on the near side that looked closer to me.

It would have been a naff decision in any game but in this game, with in Qatar’s favour, it’s just hard not to be skeptical.

28 minutes ago, Adam said:

I feel confident in saying that that was the worst World Cup game in my lifetime, if not ever.

You say that now but Hungary/New Zealand/Panama is a viable group in the next one.

We went to Munich in 2010 for my stag do and spent most of the afternoons in beer gardens, but the absolute lowest point was watching England v Algeria pull out a 0-0. After that I'd never slate a 2-0 thriller like that. Germany had lost to Serbia earlier in the day, so everyone was miserable that night.

Surely the worst game ever is measurably the Disgrace of Gijón. But most of us weren't even alive then.

In my memory that horrendous Paraguay-Japan match in 2010 and Switzerland-Ukraine in 2006 were dreadful. Matchday 3 has had its fair share of "who cares" clunkers as well... France & Denmark played a snoozefest at the most recent World Cup.

Whilst not necessarily meeting the 'lifetime' criteria of some/most on here, that one Germany/Austria game where they conspired to keep the score to one that put them both through surely has to be the worst of all time.

All this worst game ever~! stuff is nonesense really. We've had plenty of drab 0-0s over the years that were definitely tougher to watch. Yes, the second half was a none-entity, but I'd like to credit Ecuador for their professional play for that. They knew Qatar's limits and  made sure that when going forward they kept defensive stability. It was boring, yes, but Ecuador showed a level of talent with it. 

• Like 3

I didn't think it was that bad of a game. Ecuador were clearly the better team and just didn't have to go out of second gear. Helped that Qatar were piss poor but it's just a thoroughly professional performance really. 

It's not like England are exactly the most entertaining team in the world. You'll probably get a slightly better match then that opening game