AEW: Fight Forever

Don't get too hyped. End of month release dates are placeholders 99% of the time. We can safely assume that the game is set to be released within a 60 day window on either side of that date, but it's not an official release date, and I've seen placeholder dates like that get delayed by a long time.

That said, next month is the first month since the original covid lockdown that I will have extra income, thanks to a promotion at work... so, if it hits next month, I know what I'm buying myself as a congratulatory gift.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/02/2023 at 05:27, Your Mom said:

I'm going to have to skip this one. I just do not approve of "partially exposed buttocks"

Fully exposed or GTFO.

I'm glad I never got hyped for this or I'd be so blue-balled by now.

• Confused 1

I would definitely get this over 2k23 since I'm more invested in AEW, but if it gets pushed back again I'm just hopping on 2k23 since it's looking really good. Haven't played a wrestling game since SD vs. RAW on the Xbox and even then I barely messed with it. The old WCW Revenge/No Mercy look was why I was leaning FF but they've just been dragging their feet with it I'm losing interest.

So the timeline is 

January 2021 GCW hold Fight Forever event

March 2021 AEW file trademark for Fight Forever

April 2021 AEW announce the name is Fight Forever

July 2021 GCW file trademark for Fight Forever

Mar 2023 GCW file extension

May 2023 the courts will decide?

Pretty messy

From what I understand, AEW only filed a trademark for "Fight Forever" for use in video games, so it shouldn't infringe on GCW's ability to use it for events anyway. It all feels like a non-starter.

Yeah, I've heard that they've filed basically so they can have assurances that AEW will agree that they can still use the name for events. 

One unfortunate thing about this really long development cycle (and the reported massive amount sunk into the project) is that it invariably raises expectations.  Whether fair or not, there's definitely parts of the fanbase who are expecting the best console wrestling game since No Mercy or Here Comes the Pain at this point.

I just hope the game is fun to play, but the longer things go the more I know the "bar" for the game is just going to keep getting raised up to levels it almost certainly won't clear.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Justin Buschlander said:

One unfortunate thing about this really long development cycle (and the reported massive amount sunk into the project) is that it invariably raises expectations.  Whether fair or not, there's definitely parts of the fanbase who are expecting the best console wrestling game since No Mercy or Here Comes the Pain at this point.

People have said/thought that because it's not WWE/the trash fire that was WWE2k20. 

• Haha 3

Games that delay are in a lose-lose. If they launched a broken game, people would rip it to shreds. And first impressions are important. It's better to wait and get a good game on release than a broken mess that most people won't remember to pick up six months later, once patches make it playable.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

That's just a placeholder Amazon date of December 31, 2023 and so, based on that, people wouldn't actually receive it until January 2024.  There's no actual new information on the release.

That said I really can't imagine being someone who actually preordered this ages ago.  At a certain point you're probably looking to get your money back just on principle.

I think someone else in this thread already pointed this out a page or two ago, but it is hilarious that we got to play as Cody Rhodes sooner in the new WWE game than the AEW game that was announced in late 2020.

Edited by Hellraiser
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Justin Buschlander said:

That said I really can't imagine being someone who actually preordered this ages ago.  At a certain point you're probably looking to get your money back just on principle.

I think that if you're willing to pre-order something way before any significant information is released, you probably deserve what you get.