AEW: Fight Forever

I don't think I've ever preloaded a game before, but did with this just because I wanted to see if it would work. The game is only 17 gb though, which in this era is like an XBL Arcade game circa 2007. 

14 hours ago, K said:

What's preloading? 

See if you want to have a big massive night out but the bars and clubs are too expensive? You buy some cheap beers at the supermarket and drink them at home while playing some shit games and then go out. That’s preloading.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

I might wait for the reviews on this but tbh I think no matter what I'll just be bummed that it's not the NRS-made fighting game that we deserve.

We could have had Orange Cassidy as a stance fighter, people!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brandon Cutler Fan Account said:

According to Fightful, release date is June 27th.

That seems about right. My youngest loves wrestling games, and has been asking for a new one for a few months, as the last wrestling game I got her was 2k19. I was holding off, hoping to grab this, and when the rumors swirled about it being delayed until 2024, I went ahead and got her 2k23. She's loving it so far, but I'll still maybe get this as a Father's Day gift to myself. :shifty:

• Like 2

Definitely going to check this out if the reviews are favourable. Support seems the wrong word for a company with a billionaire family behind it but, for a new title such as this, it kinda feels like one that needs buying to show they have the fan base to make more in the future.

Though, I can't imagine they'll be lacking for sales between their built in fanbase and the general 'No Mercy 2.0' vibe this has had from the offset that might lead to non fans buying it to mod or use CAWs.

They better start doing a roster and features reveal like THQ used to do for the WWE games. The IGN Countdown was something I would check every day for updates on those classic games before they released.

I imagine they've got something up their sleeve for that type of a thing, but as of right now, I'm basically their target audience and I'm going to buy it for sure, but if I am the target audience, I know it's more of a niche thing and they're going to need to draw in people from outside that bubble to help drive sales.

Though, if it is, as rumored, a one and done game with consistent content updates, I don't think that there will be any need for panic if it doesn't immediately become a top seller. If those rumors are true, then I imagine that they're playing a longer game and relying more on reviews and word of mouth to bring new people to the game, which in turn could put new eyes on the television product.

• Like 3

Maybe I'm just used to the way that 2k hypes (or maybe overhypes) their games over the years, but there's something kinda weird about the fact that they've finally put out a release date after all the time and it's just Kenny talking over a couple of generic clips.  It felt almost somber in tone to me.  Like "OK we're finally forcing this out the door, here you go".

They've got 6 weeks now to put out some new footage, showcase cool features or whatever else and build up the hype.  Hopefully it does well and, most importantly, the gameplay gives off fun, No Mercy vibes.

• Sad 1

I know I should be used to topless guys in wrestling, but my head convinced me Kenny was nude in the first few seconds of that video and I lost all sense of what he was talking about...

• Haha 3

I'm not too fussed about them not doing what the WWE games used to do in terms of hyping out a roster debut or anything like that. Even when 2K does stuff now like 'what is my rating' it's usually on a stream somewhere and honestly... I don't care about that in the least. I care if it plays half decently and gives me something that I don't get out of 2K... and as much of a turnaround as 2K has had, I'm starting to get seriously sick of that style of game, and now that opinion has turned around I'm expecting even more focus and stuff to go into the monetized aspects than there already is.

2K trying to make a competitive grindy game out of a genre/style that just doesn't lend itself to it is exactly what I was expecting to happen.

• Thanks 1

If Road to Elite plays like the career modes from WrestleMania 2000 and No Mercy, I'm going to be so happy. I played through those careers so many times over, with so many different wrestlers, and had a great time every time.

I need more info on that mode. Is it linear? Are there branching storylines based on our wins and losses or decisions we make? Is the mode different if you use different wrestlers?

Like I said, I'm already buying it. I don't even care if they release any more information prior to release date in that sense. I'm making that purchase. But, I am so hyped for this thing that I am just salivating at the thought of more info.

If they do end up just adding content post-launch, I hope that they can do some kind of "Universe" style mode. If they do that, I'm sure that the other game modes will keep me plenty busy until it happens.

Personally, I’m probably going to wait for reviews unless something blows me away in the next 6 weeks.  But if the game turns out as fun as I hope it will, I’ll jump on board within a few weeks or release.

When a video game developer has a product they’re proud of, they promote it as much as possible, with various trailers detailing all of the features, right up to release day.

I believe the next 6 weeks will be very telling as to how they perceive their own game.  If we just get generic trailers I’d say that’s not a great sign.

• Like 1

Considering that the game has been in development since the company launched and they've delayed it numerous times, I'd think they'd have something they think is worthy of release? There's no reason for them to launch it now when they've already delayed it for years if it's not ready?

I realize this is the video game industry, but there's zero pressure on them to put it out before it's done that I can tell?

• Like 1

There could be a certain degree of pressure from either the publisher or AEW itself to get it out the door. Sometimes, long development times are a result of difficulties within the studio or changes in creative direction.

I have no strong expectations either way for this game, so I'd be just as unsurprised by a fun throwback experience as I would by a complete and utter mess.