AEW: Fight Forever

I would be really surprised if the mini-games aren't just a side excursion during Road to Elite to break up the monotony a little bit, with the ability to just choose to play them from the main menu if you choose.

I don't think they're going to be all that important to the game, really.

• Like 1

Maybe it's because it's a first game, and maybe it's because of the company involved, but it really feels like this is getting a lot of leeway that wouldn't be granted to a WWE game in the corners of the internet I frequent.

Everything I've seen from it so far has me underwhelmed, and as much as I love No Mercy as a game, it was released 22 years ago and perhaps shouldn't be the blueprint or selling point for a game in 2023.

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

I agree totally with the No Mercy thing. I'm trying not to pass judgement but I think Omega and maybe a lot of other people working on this are like "Wow I loved this when I was 10 so let's make the exact same thing again!" It could be way fun and I'd be happy to be wrong but I also wouldn't base my financial future on stuff I liked 25 years ago

The new zelda game has skateboarding and it's fuckin rad as hell.

Anyway I still don't really know what a season pass is. So like I buy the game, and then it's just DLC? or is it a subscription?

1 hour ago, K said:

Is it usually a recurring payment? Monthly? A one-off? or like, you 'subscribe' but then are billed as and when stuff is released? 

You pay for the season pass, you get the DLC as it is released. It is a one off payment, but you usually get multiple seasons if a developer continues to support the game.

• Like 1

I love the skateboarding stuff, it's a daft throwback to stuff like how you used to be able to just get on The Undertaker's bike and ride it around. Wrestling games are always going to struggle to find the right balance between arcade-y action gameplay and simulation, not least in part because a competitive game can't reflect how a wrestling match is cooperatively put together and worked, so I have no problem with them leaning more towards fun party game stuff. The minigames concern me, as they just seem like mobile phone shovelware stuff, but if the rest of the game holds up, that's all good.

The Hardys thing is weird, with Matt having been there so long and Jeff not only debuting later but having only actually been on TV a relatively small number of times thanks to missing the better part of a year. I'd get if they'd just put Broken Matt Hardy as a pre-order thing, but to have two versions of Matt as DLC while Jeff is in regardless, that feels weird and a bit cynical.

• Like 8

For anyone that missed it, Microsoft are actually charging less than Sony for the Elite version (at least in the UK). 

Base game: £49.99 on both consoles

Elite version: £62.99 on Xbox, £69.99 on Playstation. 

I cashed in a few Microsoft reward points and got £5 off that to get the Xbox Elite version for £57.99 (seriously, Microsoft rewards is an underated service). 

3 hours ago, Liam said:

You pay for the season pass, you get the DLC as it is released. It is a one off payment, but you usually get multiple seasons if a developer continues to support the game.

Clarification, extra seasons in games tend to also require buying that season's pass.

The general advantage of a season pass is that the total costs of the pass will most likely be less than the sum of its parts. And for smaller or fringy games or developers it can provide a more short term confirmation of product interest. (I.e. motivates Devs to release more seasons rather than pull the plug on support)

Also massively game and developer dependent, you know that a WWE game will have a yearly cycle before they release a new game, whilst Fight Forever seems like it might have a long term cycle.

I will say, the individual DLC packs seem a little thin content wise at two wrestlers per pack. If that's the model going forward, then Season Passes would likely be much more appealing, especially for completionists. 

42 minutes ago, DFF said:

I will say, the individual DLC packs seem a little thin content wise at two wrestlers per pack. If that's the model going forward, then Season Passes would likely be much more appealing, especially for completionists. 

You get wrestlers and minigames from what I can see.

50 minutes ago, JasonM said:

Clarification, extra seasons in games tend to also require buying that season's pass.

Yeah, cheers - should have made that clearer.

5 hours ago, Skummy said:

The Hardys thing is weird, with Matt having been there so long and Jeff not only debuting later but having only actually been on TV a relatively small number of times thanks to missing the better part of a year. I'd get if they'd just put Broken Matt Hardy as a pre-order thing, but to have two versions of Matt as DLC while Jeff is in regardless, that feels weird and a bit cynical.

Yeah it's just such a strange choice.  Jeff showed up so late relative to the rest of the in-game roster, I don't think anyone would've really batted an eye if he were a pre-order/DLC.  It wouldn't have felt like they were trying to pull a fast one by not having him there from the jump.

But not having any version of Matt in the base game just feels really random.  Even if the version they included was in the base game Broken Matt which he's largely not been since 2020, I don't think anyone would've minded both because it's known a lot of the roster is out of date and it's his most popular persona anyway.

Plus it just makes little sense in terms of drumming up business.  No offense to Matt but the number of diehards who would do something extra to add him are far less than Jeff.  Jeff is basically the unique gimmick in EWR, he's perpetually over and I think there always would've been a market for people wanting to add him into their game, even if they have to spend a couple extra bucks.

I think people would feel less aggrieved at Jeff being DLC because he was a later arrival too. If it were something like having Matt in the base game, but Jeff and "Broken Matt" being the DLC, I think more people would go for that, and it would seem less bizarre.

Doing some needless number-crunching, the DLC we know of so far is:

2x Matt Hardy - Matt debuted in AEW in March 2020, so well before plenty of people in the game, Jeff is just the most glaring
FTR - debuted May 2020
The Bunny - debuted as The Bunny in November 2019, but was signed to AEW before their first show
Keith Lee - debuted February 2022
Hook - first appeared December 2020, debuted December 2021
Danhausen - debuted January 2022

So while their likely was a cut-off date, it's not like the DLC is just people who missed that point - because Jeff Hardy debuted in March 2022, later than anyone currently announced as DLC, but is in the base game. Hopefully DLC will expand the game to include more members of the roster that haven't made the cut, including Evil Uno, and I'd like to see it grow to include more "Legends" - whether the likes of Jake and Arn that already work for AEW, or to get a bit more outside the box.