Premier League 2022/23

Lineker

So many dirty fouls going unpunished, so much timewasting allowed, just an awful refereeing display. Looked like he had no idea what to do.

Very happy with the win and clean sheet, especially at SJP. Odegaard continues to be amazing but Saka and Martinelli looked knackered. Kiwior looked good and Tierney was great in his cameo. It'll be gutting to not win the league but fuck, guaranteeing second place and deserving it is a great place to be.

Yeah we were shite, Isak starting central then moving wide against tired full backs works far better than the reverse, and we had nothing off the bench as a result. Had that Schar header not been straight at the keeper it might have made things interesting, but we deserved very little.

Leeds on Saturday is massive now.

Leicester are looking doomed. They were lucky to even get a point home to Everton. You'd imagine Liverpool (although you never know with us this year!) and Newcastle should easily handle business. They'll have to hope that West Ham will roll over for them on the final day since they'll be safe.

I'm curious about the Liverpool/Everton rivalry. I remember Tony Barrett saying that he remembers it being a friendly one, with "Are you watching, Manchester?" chants being common when both teams were doing well. It seems now, though, that both sets of fans want the other club to do badly.

Did the ban for English clubs in European competitions after Heysel trigger a greater level of hostility or is it just the nature of modern football that encourages everyone to hate their city neighbours?

My knowledge of such things outside of London (Milan, Madrid, etc.) is all second-hand, but if the Liverpool clubs' fanbases were ever friendly it seems like a bloody big anomaly.

Just now, METALMAN said:

I’m sure I read somewhere that Nottingham Forest and Notts County have a nice relationship, but they’re not exactly operating at the same level so not sure if you could count it anyway.

The two clubs have almost always coexisted well in my lifetime. A lot of Forest fans will turn up to County matches during international breaks and Forest have organised collection buckets at home matches when County have been in dire financial peril.

It saddens me when a few County fans hope Forest lose. Having two clubs that can work together in the same community is far better than stoking pointless divisions.

• Like 2

Yeah I find a lot of the animosity quite silly when it boils over. The fans of my team - Kilmarnock - will sing songs about how much they hate Ayr (closest team to us) even though they’ve been in the same division for about one season in the last 30 or so. I find it quite silly and I generally hope for Ayr to do well - it would be nice to have two Ayrshire teams in the premier league (assuming Kilmarnock don’t get relegated anytime soon which is highly possible).

2 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I'm curious about the Liverpool/Everton rivalry. I remember Tony Barrett saying that he remembers it being a friendly one, with "Are you watching, Manchester?" chants being common when both teams were doing well. It seems now, though, that both sets of fans want the other club to do badly.

Did the ban for English clubs in European competitions after Heysel trigger a greater level of hostility or is it just the nature of modern football that encourages everyone to hate their city neighbours?

I think and I am open to correction from @DavidMarrio or anyone else on this but its a case of in the 1980s when both clubs were highly successful it was a fairly friendly rivalry.

Now that Everton haven't been particularly successful for a long time its a little less so? But never really nasty

10 hours ago, Hobo said:

I think and I am open to correction from @DavidMarrio or anyone else on this but its a case of in the 1980s when both clubs were highly successful it was a fairly friendly rivalry.

Now that Everton haven't been particularly successful for a long time its a little less so? But never really nasty

Heysel had a knock on effect with some of the older generation because Everton won the league, were going into the European Cup and then  couldn't and some point at this being a big turning point in Evertons fortunes competitively. But then Hillsborough happened and obviously a lot of Everton fans would have lost family members and friends. (There are a small section of idiots who go on about the tragedies but what club doesn't have idiots)

A lot of families are split red/blue. I think a lot of rivalry is more to do with the chance to wind the other one up. 

But at the same time, given the gulf between the two clubs. I feel its more of a derby than a rivalry. Man Utd are a rival. City are a rival from a competitive point of few. Chelsea became a rival in the 00s due to how often the clubs faced each other especially in Europe. 

I still want Everton to go down purely because it would be funny and it's something that can be said to friends and family and work colleagues who are blues. If they came up via 2nd place the following season, I wouldn't be mad. 

• Like 2