NFL 2023

Lineker

The major problem this year was that the latter half of the tier 2 running backs were just the hottest of garbage and very few new guys stepped emerged in their place.

• Like 1

On 05/01/2024 at 12:00, Maxx said:

The major problem this year was that the latter half of the tier 2 running backs were just the hottest of garbage and very few new guys stepped emerged in their place.

I had a couple of decent RBs and a few WRs who ended up either on the IRL, Out for a game, or outright done for the season. One of my TEs also ended up done, and there was not got a good selection of replacements.

Worst string of injuries I ever had in Fantasy was in Baseball, though. Once had 3 consecutive Third Basemen (One I started with, then two I acquired) go down to injuries, and 2 were season enders. 

There's an argument to be made for the current era of QBs minimizing a lot of RBs in fantasy too. Even if guys like Jackson or Allen or Hurts get 40-50 yards a game that's 4-5 pts (plus maybe a TD) that's taken away from the "lead RB". 

Then you also have so many teams in love with having multiple backfield options, it gets minimized even more. No question Gus Edwards is RB1 in Baltimore but his total carries and yards don't look like RB1 did a decade ago. Change of pace backs are being used a lot more too, for a lot of valid strategic reasons. But at the end of the day it likely all comes down teams wanting to keep RB legs as fresh as they can. So that when you need to bring out the closer your RB1 can get 5-6 ypc against a worn down defense.

• Like 1

You also have QBs who throw to one particular player way more than the others, or who forget their TEs exist.

I was doing Fantasy on Yahoo, with 5 teams. I never slotted a TE into the RB/WR/TE slot, and if I had, it would have been due to injury or a bye week with no other alternative due to crappy choices left for replacement.

4 hours ago, gunnar hendershow said:

Lamar Jackson to Tyler Huntley continues to be one of the biggest dropoffs from starter to backup in league history.

Oh boo hoo my two pro bowl QBs aren’t as good as each other :rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Texans beat Colts to clinch a playoff spot. And they can still win the division if Jacksonville lose on Sunday. Take a bow, Demeco Ryans.

How are the Panthers doing?

• Haha 2

Man the Texans might be on the rise.  Hope no one did something stupid like drop them as their favorite team

• Haha 3

On 05/01/2024 at 08:17, Busch Wyatt said:

Just thinking ahead to 2024 fantasy football.  For the majority of the time I've played fantasy, RBs traditionally dominated the first round with a no-doubt stud WR and occasional QB crashing the party.

This was the first year I can remember RB taking something of a first round backseat.  CMC a consensus top 3 but volume-heavy guys like Ekeler and Bijan were always safely going mid first round as well, with others like Pollard sneaking into the back of the first round in some leagues.

Next year?  CMC is the obvious #1 pick pretty much everywhere.  But there's a chance the next RB won't come off the board til like 8th or 9th.  And I don't even know who it would be.  Kyren Williams and Breece Hall jump out as options, maybe Bijan could still be in play if Arthur Smith got fired.  Lot will change between now and August I'm sure but that old school "gotta take a RB first" mindset is dead and unless the NFL ever stops being so pass-happy or you don't have nearly the whole league working with RB committees that's probably not changing.

On 05/01/2024 at 09:00, Maxx said:

It wasn't just tier 2 RBs, Josh Jacobs and Johnathan Taylor also had pretty big drop offs. Admittedly, Taylor also had one last year, so he might have been tier 2 coming into the season, but Jacobs was the leading rusher and one of the few RBs who was clearly his teams bellcow the year before.

Speaking of Taylor. easy to play armchair QB, but the Colts had been gashing Houston with the run, I hated that 4th down call. Bad pass, though I think it was catchable, looked like Goodson tried to fingertip it for some reason, didn't get his arms fully extended (I havent watched it in slo-mo, tho.) I understand Taylor had gotten 30 carries, you're saying he's too tired to go out there with the game on the line, and even if he can't go you've got Moss, I think you need to run the ball there.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Lint said:

Man the Texans might be on the rise.  Hope no one did something stupid like drop them as their favorite team

I mean the owner is still a racist piece of shit, so I'm at peace with it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Busch Wyatt said:

LaPorta down.

If he’s out next week, Campbell is gonna come under a lot of fire for playing his starters in this game.  The chances of getting the #2 seed were extremely small.

Pour one out for "The Next Aaron Hernandez" :( 

16 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Pour one out for "The Next Aaron Hernandez" :( 

Sounds like the reverse Aaron Hernandez, doing damage to himself. 

18 hours ago, gunnar hendershow said:

Lamar Jackson to Tyler Huntley continues to be one of the biggest dropoffs from starter to backup in league history.

I will always remember the name of Tyler Huntley... purely for last year's amazing tumble at the goal line and the Bengals running it all the way back for a TD. Absolutely amazing to watch live from the nose bleeds.

This is so cool, while also showing how awful the Browns have been over the years.

Swift is not playing for the Eagles which means a Boston Scott TD against the Giants bet is probably free money.

17 minutes ago, Szumi said:

I will always remember the name of Tyler Huntley... purely for last year's amazing tumble at the goal line and the Bengals running it all the way back for a TD. Absolutely amazing to watch live from the nose bleeds.

That play is a microcosm of Tyler Huntley. Just does not have the awareness or quick thinking of an NFL QB. They had a designed tush push for him and he decided to make a completely boneheaded decision trying to jump over a massive pile 2 yards from the goal line. Yesterday he had a wide open receiver and was staring him down and then opted for a much harder pass that didn't work out. He gets to run the exact same playbook as they run with Lamar and just can't come close to making the plays work.

Wishlist for me is a bland, game manager backup who can run an inoffensive playbook if Lamar goes down vs opting for Lamar-but-not-as-good.

We may be watching Bill Belichick's final quarter with the Patriots. 

This is the way the Belichick Patriots ends, not with a bang, but a whimper. 

• Like 2