NFL 2023

Lineker

2 hours ago, FestiveJack said:

With the Falcons not going with Belichick, what jobs are there that are open to him now?

None, reportedly. He apparently wanted full say in Atlanta and with Rich McKay running the show there it wasn't going to work. Washington seems to have settled on Ben Johnson, and Seattle isn't evidently interested.

Not a big market for a 71 year old coach in the modern NFL. I'll also add that it's surprising that it appears Vrabel isn't landing a job but he also has the ability to sit out the year and wait for Dallas or potentially Philadelphia to open up just to name two.

• Thanks 2

49ers will have Deebo tomorrow against the Lions. A lot of people said we didn't stand a chance without him, which makes me laugh. Apparently, Deebo should be in the MVP talks if we can't win without him.

I'm still nervous tho. Playing a great Lions team that is on a roll and we really struggled those first three quarters last week.

On 22/01/2024 at 17:22, The Buscher said:

Winning really does cure all the pain when you look at it from a big picture perspective.  The last decade as a Giants fan has been miserable for all but two seasons but I still can only get so mad at them.  Those Super Bowls can't be taken away.  So that team has given me by far my highest highs as a sports fan, well ahead of the Mets who gave me a couple of near-misses wrapped around a bunch of joke years, the Islanders who gave me two decent playoff runs in my lifetime, and the Knicks who are the Knicks.

Random question but as a NY sports fan is it generally Knicks, Mets, Islanders, and Giants or Yankees, Rangers, Nets, and Jets?

Or do people mix them up? Is there a geographical element?

Ive always assumed at least the Knicks, Mets and Islanders come as a package deal due to the colours.

2 hours ago, Twist said:

Random question but as a NY sports fan is it generally Knicks, Mets, Islanders, and Giants or Yankees, Rangers, Nets, and Jets?

Or do people mix them up? Is there a geographical element?

Ive always assumed at least the Knicks, Mets and Islanders come as a package deal due to the colours.

Generally it’s Giants, Yankees, Rangers, Knicks.  Basically the “older” teams.  But everyone has their own mix, often depending on whatever teams your parents supported.

The Kellen Moore hire is a good one for both parties. If the Eagles offense returns to what it was in 2022 it launches Moore back up to HC candidacy and also is obviously going to mean the Eagles are Super Bowl contenders again.

If it doesn't work out, well, the ol' housecleaning is happening.

14 hours ago, The Buscher said:

Generally it’s Giants, Yankees, Rangers, Knicks.  Basically the “older” teams.  But everyone has their own mix, often depending on whatever teams your parents supported.

I know at least for Mets fans there's a contingent of holdovers from Dodgers/Giants who jumped onto the Mets. 

I know you're an Isles fan but there's a large part of me that doesn't quite get how them, the Jets, Devils, and Nets have fanbases with the history and tenure of the other major teams. The fact NY Metro has 3 hockey teams is absurd to me whilst Toronto and the whole of Quebec have 1 each.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There's conflicting stories on Belichick - some saying he still wants to have GM responsibilities he had in New England and others (probably Belichick's camp) suggesting he'd be happy to step back into just being a coach.

I have to think it's the former.  Just seems really difficult for me to imagine that a guy who has had full roster control for 20+ years is content to just step back and let someone else pick his team.  Yes, head coaches all get a say in their roster but giving up that level of control feels tough to fathom.  Maybe a year out of the game will change his mind.

As a Giants fan I can say that if the team is a disaster in 2024, I'd have no problem with hiring Belichick as the next coach.  Because I believe he's still a good football coach.  But that interest is completely out the window if he wanted roster control.  It's bad enough he makes a lot of weird coordinator/coaching hires based on who he's friends with, but if you look at his drafting history over the last decade you'll see it's not good.

1 minute ago, The Buscher said:

There's conflicting stories on Belichick - some saying he still wants to have GM responsibilities he had in New England and others (probably Belichick's camp) suggesting he'd be happy to step back into just being a coach.

I have to think it's the former.  Just seems really difficult for me to imagine that a guy who has had full roster control for 20+ years is content to just step back and let someone else pick his team.  Yes, head coaches all get a say in their roster but giving up that level of control feels tough to fathom.  Maybe a year out of the game will change his mind.

As a Giants fan I can say that if the team is a disaster in 2024, I'd have no problem with hiring Belichick as the next coach.  Because I believe he's still a good football coach.  But that interest is completely out the window if he wanted roster control.  It's bad enough he makes a lot of weird coordinator/coaching hires based on who he's friends with, but if you look at his drafting history over the last decade you'll see it's not good.

The thing with Bill is that he also was de facto GM in Cleveland and it's a big reason that when the team relocated to Baltimore they went with Ozzie Newsome as an official GM and also moved on from him as coach. His parting gift was a lot of scouting and interest in a guy named Ray Lewis.

By all accounts the reason he quit the Jets job was because NE promised him more control.

If all he wants is the wins record he might grin and bear it somewhere but I think it would be too much for him to not have "his" players out there.