2012 Olympics

Guest Wrestling_Man

Who will after tomorrow, host the 2012 Summer Games?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who will after tomorrow, host the 2012 Summer Games?

• Paris
    • London
    • New York
    • Madrid
    • Moscow
    • It's too damn early to think about the 2012 Olympics

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ringmaster

Why's everyone so excited, don't they realise that they are the ones who are going to pay for it through raised taxes?

Australia lost over 1 billion dollars at the 2000 games

So what.....the Olympics are one of the things that are the exceptions to that. Everyone loves the Olympics.

Guest Majick

The Games will be paid for by tax money, about £20 a head per year over the next seven years. Is anyone really going to miss that?

The future of the Olympic stadium hasn't been decided yet. Ideally a football club would take it over - Spurs or West Ham have been mentioned - but most likely it'd be downgraded to a normal atheltics stadium capable of hosting big events. We don't have many of those in London...

Ice hockey stadiums? Sorry - that's the winter Olympics. There will be one new permanent hockey pitch left over after the Games, which can be used by local teams, of which there are a few.

Part of Hackney Marshes - where the football pitches are - will be turned into a coach park for a period of about a year. The pitches will be moved for that time - there'll still be the same number available - and restored afterwards.

The Games won't cause congestion unless people ignore the information - there's no car-parking provision being made. You'll have to get to the Olympic park by public transport, which is set for a lot of improvement between now and 2012.

Now, if you want to say that hosting the Games means that people will be forced to move their homes and businesses, go ahead. I'm glad that we're hosting the Games, but I won't deny that it's going to cause disruption, and it'll need a hell of a lot of effort to get it all up and running in time. The help that it should provide for British sport should be fantastic, though, and it should improve the environment of Stratford and the surrounding area by a lot.

(And yeah, can you tell I work for a company that was involved with the bid?)

Spurs were set to have the world championship stadium before that was fucked up so it seems likely baring in mind the shit we're getting over trying to expand the lane.

The biggest obstacle will be Thames Water they couldn't supply water to Atlantis... <_<

I actually know someone who has a slim shot at participating in this, however slim it is she still has a chance.

So emotional. I totally didn't expect it to be London. Paris were the favourites. Now we just have to wait 7 years...

...until we are infested with 'trade', and by trade I mean more overcrowding in London and random foreign speaking annoyances all around.

Like I give a shit about all that crap, I live 6 hours away.