The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

Had my PS5 since Sunday and I'm absolutely loving it so far. Sackboy alone has been much more fun than I'd have ever guessed. Watched my boy play it for a bit then had to get down on co-op. Haven't gotten into Bugsnax or Demolition yet. Definitely been enjoying Astro's Playground. I remember trying out the Playroom on PS4 when I first got it and definitely wanted to play more, but didn't want the camera thing. This is basically a game filled with basic fun and loads of nostalgia. 

Pre-kids I never had a desire to play Sackboy back on PS3 and I kind of regret it now. I'd never guess that would be my favorite game on a console thus far. Definitely glad to have my 5, though, even if I have a backlog I'll likely never beat on 3 and 4. 

I need to get back into Yakuza. Didn't get the remastered collection at the time as my backlog was massive but it's a lot smaller now. 

But I've still got Valhalla to finish and then I've got the likes of Metro Exodus, Death Stranding and Control to do. 

• 2 weeks later...

I like them a lot as well. I will say that my two complaints are the batteries drain faster than my wireless Beats I had, and that to use them on your laptop (wirelessly) you have to have the USB stick in a port for it to recognize. Same with the PS5, too. Which is kind of maddening, really. I can't even use these with my phone unless I go with the audio jack, which sucks. Bass levels are a little wonky if you're using it for music on your laptop/phone or doing Spotify while playing a game (like I do with Destruction All-Stars).

But other than that, yeah. Super comfortable, you don't even realize you're wearing headphones after a while. And the surround sound support is pretty great. Games I've noticed that I've played lately that take advantage of that are Last of Us Part II and Control.

• 2 weeks later...

Sony confirmed that the next PSVR is coming, but not this year. Also posted that the headset will connect to the PS5 with one cord (and they promise high fidelity visuals), instead of feeling like Professor X with the Cerberus helmet with all of the cords and stuff. And the controller will be use some of the features of the DualSense. Sony said they're improving upon the resolution, field of view, tracking and input for the next gen VR, too.

There's some speculation online that the big launch game for it will be one set inside the Horizon: Zero Dawn/Forbidden West franchise.

I hope it gets supported well and is reasonably affordable. I'd be all over the Oculus Quest 2 if it didn't have mandatory Facebook integration, and many others feel the same way, so there's definitely a gap in the market to fill. Having said that, I'm not likely to get a PS5 in the near future, so there's a limit to how excited I can get.

48 minutes ago, Ruki Returns said:

A story heavy game about giant robots and time travel. I've seen many places about how the story is amazing, but the gameplay lacking.

A fair assessment.

I'd also say that the story begins as a mystery and you have everything pretty much figured out about 75% of the way in. Kind of lacked a twist or big final moment that it needed to make it truly memorable.

• Thanks 1

There's a State of Play tonight that will feature more information on ten upcoming games, with probably some other information thrown in. They haven't announced which ones but with them giving the new Ratchet & Clank game a release date recently you'd have to think they'd show off more of that.

They haven't announced next month's free games yesterday as they normally would so I'd imagine they'll reveal those in the stream. Kena: Bridge of Spirits is a popular guess with it releasing next month and probably also featuring.

28 minutes ago, Ruki Returns said:

Fingers crossed for more Final Fantasy content. 7R Part 2 or 16. I'm not fussy.

I think in regards to VII-R, you're more likely to get an announcement about the "Ever Crisis upgrade" than anything about Part 2.

• Like 1