The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

Metro Exodus' PS5 upgrade came out today. The PS4 version is also double discounted if you're a PS Plus member, so it's like $19 and the upgrade is free. From reactions on Reddit, while it's obviously nowhere near the quality of what a high end PC can do with the game, it's still pretty fucking awesome and the haptics/triggers in relation to the weapons are really cool as well.

• 2 weeks later...

A Plague: Tale Innocence
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4

WWE 2K Battlegrounds

PS+ games for July, exciting times for those who love WWE characters depicted as weird little cherub like beings.

Ghost of Tsushima is a fantastic game, I can't wait for the PS5/Director's Cut version. One of the easiest games to 100%, it's beautiful, story is great, and the combat is just silky smooth. I sold it (along with my PS4) when I got the digital PS5, so I'll have to buy it again, but I'm okay with that. I'm also excited to try the multiplayer part of the game too.

On 30/06/2021 at 11:06, Gabriel said:

Is Battlegrounds any fun?

What kind of modes are there?

There's a story mode which has comic book panels instead of cut scenes (actually pretty cool and inspired for a WWE game). It's a pretty basic story, but it's a huge branching tree of matches. You can do them all, or you can follow a certain path to get to the end point of the first "chapter" or whatever they called it. It gets repetitive as fuck after awhile, though. It's basically WWE All-Stars, but not as fun, if that makes any sense. From the week or so that I played it, it seemed everyone had more or less the same moveset save for moves that they specifically do. As for modes, there's the story, straight up exhibition matches (singles/tag/three way/four way/cage/Royal Rumble), "King of the Battleground" which is basically just an online Rumble, an online tournament mode, and a Challenge mode where you unlock stuff like points for your character and outfit pieces. 

For a free game? If I didn't have it, I'd grab it. I paid money for it, like $30, and I played it for like a week then deleted it. It's... perfectly average.

On 30/06/2021 at 10:58, Maxx said:

A Plague: Tale Innocence

I've been looking forward to this upgrade ever since it was rumored maybe a month or so ago. I've had the game for awhile, but didn't get very far for whatever reason. But this game is highly rated and basically everyone says it's fantastic. I can't wait.

Sifu got delayed to 2022, gameplay videos of Deathloop and Lost Judgement, Death Stranding Director's Cut release date (9/24), Moss: Book 2 for PSVR announced... that's all I cared about, anyway. It was mostly third party studios and indies. This isn't their big, tentpole E3-like event - if they even have one this year.

Death Stranding is, seemingly, taking a page out of Ghost of Tsushima's book and de-listing the frequently on-sale base game, and now only offering the Director's Cut for PS5 or the Digital Deluxe Edition for PS4. So people with the disc-less PS5 are fucked if they owned the game previously on PS4 in physical form, unless they go the route that Fallen Order did (which it isn't clear if they are or not - the blog post about this only mentions that "if you already own the PS4 version you can upgrade to the Director's Cut Digital Deluxe Edition for $10). So your upgrade path is basically what I just mentioned for previous owners, buy the PS5 version outright, or buy the DDE for PS4 right now and get access to the Director's Cut when it's released for another $10.

I'm already hating these Director's Cut versions and companies charging more money for upgraded versions on the new consoles. Shocker of shockers, the only companies to do this right so far have been Crystal Dynamics with Avengers and Respawn with Fallen Order (especially, especially Respawn - they offered an upgrade path for disc-less PS5 owners who owned physical versions on the PS4). Oh, and 4A/Deep Silver with Metro Exodus.

Edited by tristy

I've got Ghosts of Tshiumas as a disk on PS4 that I've installed but not got round to playing with the upgrade coming to ps5 cause I have the disk I imagine there will be no extra charge and will be free, similar if I was to get Death Stranding on a disk. Seems like the push towards to digital is way to make more money which I think isn't right if someone's got a digital version on PS4 they should be entitled to the free upgrade to PS5 not having to pay for the deluxe edition

35 minutes ago, Dang117 said:

I've got Ghosts of Tshiumas as a disk on PS4 that I've installed but not got round to playing with the upgrade coming to ps5 cause I have the disk I imagine there will be no extra charge and will be free, similar if I was to get Death Stranding on a disk.

For GoT, you can either pre-order the upgrade for $20 or buy it for $30 when it's released. It's not free. For Death Stranding, it costs $10.

Edited by tristy

Rewatched some of the new trailers from the State of Play, Lost Judgment actually looks pretty good.

That one they're giving out for PS+ next month just looks like another Destruction All-Stars level disaster. Someone on Reddit posted the playerbase figures for the Steam version and it's practically dead in less than a year.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, damshow said:

Well gang barring any hiccups it looks like I'm joining the PS5 family sometime next week when I can pick up my console from Best Buy.

200.gif

• Like 7