The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

I'm really torn on the Phantom Pain. It's a really really good war game with bizarre supernatural aspects but it never felt like a metal gear solid game. I hated pretty much every aspect of the story, but the gameplay on its own is really good.

MGSV has proper infiltration in a way that previous incarnations never had. You really are generally given a base (from small checkpoint to big headquarters) and pretty much left to get in there and do what you need to do in whatever way you feel best. I LOVE that.....and ballooning people and animals away.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I love the story of MGSV myself, but it could have been a lot better had Kojima not been confined to his office away from his dev team during production of the game.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, OctoberRavenO said:

I love the story of MGSV myself, but it could have been a lot better had Kojima not been confined to his office away from his dev team during production of the game.

Someone had to, I guess. It was a great game with a mostly shitty story.

• Like 1

I do think that the story could have been better if the powers that be at Konami hadn't completely lost their minds, but I still felt it was the weakest of the series by quite a margin. Looking at what was reportedly cut from the game, I don't think that such improvements would have brought it up to the standards I consider the other games to have.

Even with all that said, the fact that I still love the game says a lot about how it actually plays.

I'm really early on in the game, and haven't played a Metal Gear game since MGS2 - I broadly understand the story of the games in-between, and have a friend who's obsessed with the series, and we've had plenty of conversations about it, so I think I have a handle on it.

I'm still stupidly early on - I played a little last night, and only just got to Mother Base for the first time. It's a weird mix of free-roaming and MGS style stealth, which I kind of like, and makes trying to infiltrate an outpost a lot of fun. After multiple attempts to sneak in and pick everyone off quietly like a sneaky ninja, and getting caught each time, I just drove a truck into the place, mowed down half the soldiers, then hid under some stairs and shot everyone else as they came down them. That was fun.

It's not a game I can see myself being particularly good at and, while still very early days, nothing about the story has really gripped me at all thus far.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Skummy said:

After multiple attempts to sneak in and pick everyone off quietly like a sneaky ninja, and getting caught each time, I just drove a truck into the place, mowed down half the soldiers, then hid under some stairs and shot everyone else as they came down them. That was fun.

Ah gaming stealth, will you never change? :shifty:

• Like 2

Anyone playing the Friday The 13th game on PS4? I just got it, and as a huge fan of the franchise I absolutely love it. It's got some glitches, and a few things are annoying (like being forced to wait for the match to end, so sometimes sitting and doing nothing for 15 minutes if you die early) - but overall, it's just a blast.

Edited by Toe
Spelling

I didn't want to pay £30 for it, because it sounds like something that could get very repetitive to me, and even if it were a free PS+ game, it would get played a few times with mates and that's it due to the lack of single player.

Am I wrong, @Toe?

Edit: Saw that you "just" got it, so probably better to give me that answer once you've had more time on it!

4 minutes ago, Forever Forky said:

There's no single player?! Awww, I wanted to walk around murdering the shit out of stupid teenagers! :shifty:

See, even if they allowed a private game with bots as the teenagers, I'd be likely to play. But any more I very very rarely play with random people.

18 hours ago, Baddar said:

I didn't want to pay £30 for it, because it sounds like something that could get very repetitive to me, and even if it were a free PS+ game, it would get played a few times with mates and that's it due to the lack of single player.

Am I wrong, @Toe?

Edit: Saw that you "just" got it, so probably better to give me that answer once you've had more time on it!

It is samey in the sense it's the same scenario you play in, but I have it and love it. Be better if I had more friends to play it with but playing randoms is no real issue in the game. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Baddar said:

Am I wrong, @Toe?

It helps that I am a big fan of the franchise, so the setting really draws me in.

It's straight-up multiplayer only. No bots or anything at this time. And sometimes it's boring when you have to wait for the game to start or end. If you're not a big Friday The 13th fan, I'd only recommend it if you have a few friends to play with.

For me, I'm having a blast playing in character. I was using Chad - the spoiled rich brat. So a group of us were in a cabin with Jason inside , and everyone is saying "Let's all gang up on him and then run!". But that's not Chad's move. As soon as Jason smashed through the door, Chad was out the window. I was screaming into my headset "Chad's gotta live - see you suckers!" as I ran into the forest.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Toe said:

For me, I'm having a blast playing in character. I was using Chad - the spoiled rich brat. So a group of us were in a cabin with Jason inside , and everyone is saying "Let's all gang up on him and then run!". But that's not Chad's move. As soon as Jason smashed through the door, Chad was out the window. I was screaming into my headset "Chad's gotta live - see you suckers!" as I ran into the forest.

It's like they've never seen the movies....

• Like 3