The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

• 2 weeks later...

Days Gone is not getting great reviews. Sitting on a 71 on metacritic. It's a shame because it was starting to look really good, but the general consensus seems to be to wait for a sale.

At least it's helped me settle the debate of whether I should buy that or Sekiro.

2 hours ago, Ollie said:

Days Gone is not getting great reviews. Sitting on a 71 on metacritic. It's a shame because it was starting to look really good, but the general consensus seems to be to wait for a sale.

At least it's helped me settle the debate of whether I should buy that or Sekiro.

It just looked generic as fuck to me.

• Like 1

It did up until the last couple trailers, which made it look like it could have gone either way. Plus Sony were pumping a lot of marketing into it, which made me think it could have been on par with the last few first party exclusives.

I'll likely still pick it up, but not until it drops to half price.

I was planning on waiting for a bit anyway, and these reviews have settled it. 

Now that it'll sell relatively poorly (compared to how it would if the reviews had been excellent), I fully expect a significant price drop within a few months. Happy to give it a go for £25 or thereabouts.

Surprisingly, the overwhelming response to the game on Twitter so far is that it's brilliant.

This is of course based on people spending a few hours on it, and most reviews did pick up on it getting repetitive really fast. Still, I'm not going to completely rule out purchasing this within a few weeks if these good impressions continue to roll in. 

I ordered that Rayman Legends game for my son for his birthday. So far I think I’ve done alright getting him games he might be interested in (loved Rachet and Clank). 

I watched a gameplay video and it looks super cool. Maybe not my thing necessarily, but seems like a fun change of pace from Crash and Ratchet and Clank for him. 

Any of you play this?

I've been playing Rayman Legends over the last week on Switch, having previously played it on PS4. It's my favourite platformer ever. The level design is great and the controls are nice and tight, which means that the harder levels don't feel unfair. There's also a good checkpoint system, so difficult sections aren't too annoying. Plus there are a lot of levels, with unlockable levels from Rayman Origins also available.

And of course, the musical levels are brilliant fun.

• Like 1

Rayman Origins/Legends were go to platformers when they first came out because they were some of the only non-Mario titles at the time that allowed for 4 player multiplayer and they're still awesome to this day. Big departures from the older Rayman games which... did not age well in the least.

11 hours ago, Ruki said:

PS Now sounds super temping. $100 for a year, and you get access to a shit ton of games. And apparently you can even play them on PC. 

Did they drop the price, or is that just a special price for paying in advance for a full year?

When I looked at it last, it was $20 (Canadian) per month and you could only stream what you played. Xbox Game Pass was half the price, and allowed you to download games instead of streaming them.

I know Sony added downloading since then, but haven't looked at the cost.

2 hours ago, Gabriel said:

Did they drop the price, or is that just a special price for paying in advance for a full year?

When I looked at it last, it was $20 (Canadian) per month and you could only stream what you played. Xbox Game Pass was half the price, and allowed you to download games instead of streaming them.

I know Sony added downloading since then, but haven't looked at the cost.

The $100 is if you pay for a year up front.