The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

1 minute ago, Meacon said:

What exactly is Sonic Mania? That just a sonic game?

It's an old school Sonic game essentially done by a team of people who grew up loving Sonic, making rom hacks and eventually ports of existing Sonic games. The lead took a prototype they made to Sonic Team and got the go ahead to make it.

Just look at this trailer - it sold me on it instantly when it came out.

• Like 1

A 9 minute gameplay trailer was released today for Hideo Kojima's Death Stranding, which comes out in November

I still have no idea what this game is about...

Graphically it looks amazing and innovative but it does look like the same kind of weird, Russo style swerve bullshit storyline that Kojimi usually does, probably with the same "a wizard did it/nanomachines" hand waving stuff. I remain unsold on it.

7 hours ago, Baddar said:

I have a feeling people will play that game, complete it, and still say they have no idea what it's about, at this point. 

I can see it selling very well but suffering from a high trade in.

I've got the Ghostbusters game (the original 2009 release) on PC so I can't imagine I'll pick up the remastered game. I haven't actually played it yet, though.

Death Stranding looks like... something. I haven't really been following the promotion at all so I'm not really sure what it's all about.

Ghostbusters is also coming to the Switch.

As for Death Stranding, I've never had any idea what it's supposed to be. I was disappointed when Silent Hills was cancelled and am looking forward to Kojima making a horror game one day, but Death Stranding isn't doing anything for me yet. It's definitely looking like a "wait for recommendations" kind of game.

Just checked and it came out 10 years ago, makes it an extra strange remaster since while I enjoyed it enough and it was the best we could hope for in a sequel to the films I think it's moment would have passed. It was pretty much a play through and trade in game and I'm struggling to remember an awful lot of it now. There was a teaser trailer released for Ghostbusters 3 coming in 2020, in which case it seems this is releasing a touch early to ride on those coat tails. 

I loved that Ghostbusters game. The gameplay was OK, but it was being placed into that universe that really made it feel special. I'll probably pick it up again. 

• Like 1

Death Stranding is about a naked Norman Reedus who really wants to eat a live baby. How are people not getting this?

From what I can tell...

Some ecological disaster has happened, decimating the US or world. Reedus appears to be part of a group trying to connect disparate people together, despite acid rain, vast bleak landscapes and some kind of mystical zealots. There are strange, terrifying spirit creatures with crazy power which can be avoided by sneaking around using weird scanners to check where they are. Little babies have the ability to see them so, despite the bad taste it leaves for some, they're carried around when having to trek through lands that they inhabit. The zealots are either trying to destroy groups, capture the babies or quicken the destruction of the country...or all three.

At least, that's kinda what I read from it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ollie said:

Fuck y'all, Death Stranding looks dope. I'm all in. Kojima can get as weird as he likes, especially seeing as he's giving me a big fuck off ladder to play with.

I'm just annoyed that it's PS-exclusive but given Sony is publishing it, can't be helped.

I like exclusives. I know that it's probably not they way it's going to be going forward but I think it rewards people for their loyalty. I bought an X-Box once but it was only because I was short on cash at the time and got a really good deal. It's not that I don't like X-Box but I've been a Sony man since the beginning and I always plan to stick with that if possible.