The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

Having just finished Edith Finch, can I reiterate how fucking amazing that game is? The first room, I genuinely felt like I'd have to drop acid to even understand what the hell was going on, but then it settled and became a great game.

And I dont think EA Access or PS Now work in Australia, which is just depressing :( 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Josh to the World said:

That’s great to hear! My girlfriend and I are probably starting that today.

On a related note: we liked Gone Home, but jebus it was short.

The trophy nonces tell me that game can be finished under a minute. 

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, 9 to 5 said:

The trophy nonces tell me that game can be finished under a minute. 

Keep in mind that this is obviously huge spoilers for the game.

I got the achievement for doing the under one minute and hoo-boy was it an afternoon.

Edited by apsham

Finally my kids birthday party came and I was able to give him Rayman. This is a lot of fun, controls are really good, not too loose or too rigid ya know what I mean? It's a challenge but doesn't ever feel unfair or anything like that. Really great music and graphics, I might buy a second controller just so we can play together. He seems to be enjoying it also which is nice since he didn't seem to dig Little Big Planet 3 so much. 

• Like 4

Yeah, some of the Gone Home trophies are just odd. Why reward someone for speeding past everything when the entire point of the game is to take in the experience via lots of audio and text?

Some of them do make sense though and are exactly the kind of trophies I like to see, where they reward you for finding the hidden stuff or figuring something out without all of the supports they provide.

Moving on!

What Remains of Edith Finch is fucking incredible. I love that the controls and style are constantly changing. It’s visually stunning too. My only complaint is - again - the length. It’s much more in-depth than Gone Home, but we played for a few hours yesterday and will likely finish it with just another hour or less of play.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Josh to the World said:

Yeah, some of the Gone Home trophies are just odd. Why reward someone for speeding past everything when the entire point of the game is to take in the experience via lots of audio and text?

None of the speed based ones could be done by mistake - they just exist for a second playthrough as a way to show that the game was technically beatable from the second you stepped into the house.

Most games lock things away and hide things from you until you've hit the story beats. Plus it also got people talking about it.

• Like 2

I generally like short games, so I'm keen to play Edith Finch soon. I understand that some people want more, especially if they've paid a lot of money, but I quite like it when a game does what it intends to and ends before it outstays its welcome. The first Bioshock could easily be finished in around six or seven hours, but I still thought it was a little too long.

Oh, don’t get me wrong, my complaint is a minor one in the grand scheme. I definitely wouldn’t want the experience to overstay its welcome. I think it stands out to me because I like having something to keep going back to with my girlfriend. The expansive titles I have (RDR 2, GTA V, Hitman 2, etc.) don’t work for her. The Witness is only game so far that’s been the best of both worlds. I probably got a bit spoiled by it.

Gone Home ranks as one of my favorite horror games.

Yes, horror.

Explanation (Don't read until you've played it to the end)

Spoiler

Apart from the overall creepy atmosphere of a house utterly devoid of life despite looking lived in... I genuinely thought the story was going to end with finding the sister's body. A more grounded kind of horror, but in a way more actually chilling than something like FEAR which was more comical to me.

It basically did Layers of Fear better than Layers of Fear.

So now that I have finally completed the Spyro trilogy and finally completed Yakuza 2 Kiwami

I suppose I should finally play Spiderman!

• Like 1