The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

... oh well yeah okay I'll buy that.

Also we need to set a date for an EWB Gentleman's Karting Society outing. The first ever! But not any time within the next six days.

Nintendo does DLC extremely well. Fairly priced for huge amounts of content that actually extends the life of the game.

Not that Nintendo often releases sequels on the same console for Mario Kart, but they wouldn't need to here. Given how well MK Wii sold, they could keep Mario Kart 8 relevant for the entire life of the Wii U.

Mario Kart 8 was already a solid 8-9 out of 10 but now it's edging closer to the 10.

The main criticism I had with it was the lack of stats and I got sick of the same few tracks after a while, but with the Mercedes DLC thing this Thursday they'll be adding stats, and with that DLC thing they've fixed the tracks from getting too stale.

I thought that looked like terrible value at first, but that was because I missed the "eight new courses" bit, at which point I was very happy. In case anyone didn't know, pre-purchasing both packs costs just £11.99 over here, so I'm sure everyone else will get a similar discount if they go for the bundle.

Also, thanks to a few handy supermarket vouchers, I'm now a Wii U and Mario Kart 8 owner. A lot of fun it is, too.

It is a great value. It is 12$ to double the content of the game. More game companies should look to what Nintendo is doing with DLC, because they always give you bang for your buck.

Nevermind that shit, new 3DS with SNES inspired buttons! As in, the good SNES, not those bloody purple American buttons. The whole thing is kinda weird with it's second analog nub and extra buttons on top. Makes me wonder how many games will actually make use of them or if this is pretty much meant as a Monster Hunter machine.

And if they're remaking Xenoblade for 3DS, how much effort would it be to spruce it up for Wii U? Since all I ever hear of that game is how people want it but can't find it and have to pay Gamestop's crazy mark up for a 'pre-owned' copy that they had reprinted by the publishers.

By the sounds of things the new 3DS stick (they're calling it the C-stick because Nintendo) will have a function in some new games and will also serve the same role in Smash Bros. that the C-stick did on the Gamecube version--i.e., instant no-charge smash moves. The new system looks pretty slick but we've already got three different 3DS variations in my house and I can't really justify getting another one.

I've been reading that the new 3DS model will have a faster CPU, meaning that some games, like the aforementioned Xenoblade port, will only work on the new system. It reminds me of a more expensive version of the N64 Expansion Pak add-on that you couldn't play Majora's Mask and Perfect Dark without.

I've been reading that the new 3DS model will have a faster CPU, meaning that some games, like the aforementioned Xenoblade port, will only work on the new system. It reminds me of a more expensive version of the N64 Expansion Pak add-on that you couldn't play Majora's Mask and Perfect Dark without.

Oh man, that's some bullshit. Having to buy the same console to play the next selection of games?

The new 3DS looks pretty cool and will probably be a pretty good excuse to pick one up in the future. I'd be mighty pissed off if I already had one though.

The right stick and shoulder buttons I'd get over but improved hardware and exclusive games is a bit of a dick move. Wouldn't inspire a lot of trust to ever be an early adopter of a Nintendo product.

I was always under the impression that, whilst it's not as simple as the systems that Microsoft and Sony have where it is tied to an account (though you can make arguments about the DRM in place on 360's at least where you couldn't use content offline till the license transfer was introduced) there is a system transfer in place on the 3DS. I think there were issues with Nintendo stuff previously though as I vaguely recall reading stuff on people wanting/needing to buy replacement Wii's and/or DSi's and they had to send their stuff off to Nintendo if they wanted digital content retained.

Personally, I have two 3DS games digitally and it does seem really neat to have everything contained on this one portable system without having to worry about bringing cards along etc but I've always been a little wary of Nintendo's digital policy. In this instance, I wouldn't mind if somewhere like GAME had a deal where you traded in your old system and paid like £20 or something for the new one but going by a deal they had for 3DS to XL, they wanted like £70 to do so and that'd be a bit steep in my book. Still, I think they let you take both home and do the transfer before bringing your old one back to the get the discount reimbursed so again, that'd be good to have here.