The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

I'm having a hard time getting into it, to be honest. The multiple witness thing is more confusing than interesting since it turns navigating cross-examinations into more of a labyrinth. The puzzles are... okay? I'm not that far into it and I've already done two versions of the same "cloud maze" puzzle, which wasn't even fun the first time.

I think the worst part is the setting, though. The Ace Attorney games get away with a lot of weirdness just by their nature--it's a game where a little girl can suddenly be possessed by the ghost of your former boss, for fuck's sake. The mystical stuff (and Dual Destinies' occasional sci-fi leanings) worked because they fit with the tone of the games. The setting in this game, though, is just some boilerplate 1600s-ish High Fantasy Setting™, and for the most part it's really dull. The major hook is that Wright's confused because this world has its own rules of logic, but that turns out to be less about trying to convince the dullards to accept scientific truth and more about memorizing how a witch's spellbook works. Not so hot.

Yeah, it's the first Ace Attorney game I haven't bought at launch since the very first one because the reviews haven't been kind and there are other games I want for my 3DS more (Smash Bros, Bravely Default).

Hot damn. Nabbing a new copy of Mario Kart 8 for $35+tax in about an hour.

Also, for anyone wondering: Black Ops 2 & Tekken Tag 2 on PS3 > Wii U. The Wii U versions of both are perfectly fine (hell, Short Girl even became good with multiple Tekken characters while using the GamePad), but you can tell both were just kinda afterthoughts.

Kinda cheesed that Wii Sports U requires Motion Plus, but I really can't see much difference in that game versus the original Wii Sports. If I can find a good deal on some newer Wiimotes, I'll bite, but for now, I'm just going to use the legacy hardware.

Reaaaallly digging this system, though. Cannot wait to grab Smash Bros., Mario 3D World and maybe some of the tech demos like Nintendo Land and Wii Party U.

I cannot wait till Smash Bros. My husband asked me "what do you need for Christmas? I want to get you something you need rather than what you want" and I looked at him with crazy eyes and howled "SMASH BROSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!"

• Like 3

YOU GUYS.

YOU. GUYS.

Mario Kart 8 is so much damn fun. I don't even mind losing races due to shenanigans, because the game has finally attained a level of shenanigan acceptance versus interesting race mechanics.

Nintendo Land is ite, but I feel like Wii Party U will be a far better representation of that style multiplayer game.

Apparently, the Smash Brothers release dates have been confirmed at TGS with the 3DS version hitting October 3rd and the Wii U version hitting November 25th. Less than three weeks for you 3DS'ers, approximately three times as long for the U'ers. Rawr.

Edit: Two weeks from today for DS, ten weeks for U. <_<

• Like 1

Nintendo Land is ite, but I feel like Wii Party U will be a far better representation of that style multiplayer game.

I've not played Nintendo Land, but Wii Party U honestly isn't much. There's at least one board game that's pretty fun (believe it or not, it's the fashion show one), but it's mostly just another dull minigame collection. I had a hard time getting into it.

At this point I have no idea if I'm getting the 3DS Smash Bros. or not. The Wii U one is going to be the definitive one for us, so we're weighing rather or not to just grab the 3DS one for single player or not. It'd be nice if there was an incentive or discount for getting both, but that's probably not going to be the case.

If I get the bonus I'm expecting in mid-October I might get it anyway because middle class white people love capitalism.

/checks credit card statement

Do we ever, boy howdy.

Re: Wii Party U -- I feel like that will have to do until the newest Mario Party hits.

In other news: Wii Sports Club is absolutely pointless. They even ruined golf by shoehorning the GamePad into it (you have to look down to the GamePad's screen, meaning you place the damn-near-irreplaceable GamePad on the floor where any ol' drunky can Garvin Stomp it.) I'll just stick with Wii Sports Resort and save $30, thanks.

That's what I was expecting, someone puts some unnecessary emphasis on their swing and temporarily loses their balance. They try and replant their foot and wham, broken pad screen.

• Like 1

Hyrule Warriors is super tempting. I've never bothered with Dynasty Warriors because the setting doesn't interest me, but all the big boss monsters and more fun settings look cool.

I'm not sure it's enough to push me towards the £200 price point, but a £30 drop or so and something like Xenoblade 2 releasing could tempt me...

BF got Hyrule Warriors, so we've been playing it Co-Op. It actually does a really good job of making the story work for it and it's actually refreshing to play the Dynasty Warriors system when you don't have to do the same old Romance of the Three Kingdoms story every single update.

That being said, the graphics are pretty shocking outside of the cutscenes, which is a bit weird. I mean, they're *good*, but there are moments in the early levels where things look really blocky and not as polished as they could be.

I don't know if I can justify $60 on that particular title, but for Wii U owners, that's the last big release until Smash in November. So I get it if someone wanted to splurge on Hyrule Warriors.

Nope, that title goes to WitchTits 2

Hyrule Warriors is pretty good, but there's the sinking feeling in the back of my head that I'm going to put it on my shelf in a weeks time and never play it again. It's fun, almost mindless grinding and it's clearly been made with love but at the same time it's just missing the extra polish that you'd expect from Wii U games after playing Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Mario 3D World, Mario Kart etc. I'm content with the price I paid for it (£27) and understand that these sorts of games either stay around that price or sink like a stone, but I can imagine it'd be a tougher sell if I hadn't pre-ordered it and saw it in store for £40.

Transparent 2DS'!

Man, that blue one is kinda really nice.

That story also talks about the demo for the upcoming Ruby/Sapphire remakes, sounds like it's a pre-order bonus alongside however Nintendo is giving them out.