The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Uggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh I have to get this off my chest because it's been bugging the shit out of me today.

My ladyfriend and I split on our WiiU because we wanted it to be the primary console to play together on. She played Viva Pinata and Ratchet & Clank on the 360 and PS3 respectively, and we do family sharing on Steam for smaller indy games or PC-specific games, but I was the one that primarily played the 360 and PS3 and will be the primary person to play the PS4 when we've got some damned games for it.

The WiiU, though, is our system. We have played all the way through Super Mario 3D Land with all of the characters together (but haven't beat the secret levels because GOD DAMN), unlocked stuff in Mario Kart 8 together, took turns playing ZombiiU together by switching off each time we died, and so on. So, when Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze came out, she was stoked as fuck. I was relatively stoked.

NEVER have we been so frustrated with a game—like, collectively, or as individuals. And to be completely honest, never have we been so frustrated in our relationship as Donkey Kong makes us. Like, we've had a few good yelling matches, but Donkey Kong has pissed us off more.

My fundamental issue with the game is that Donkey Kong just feels... clunky. Like, I get that he's a stupid-ass lumbering gorilla, but I can NEVER tell if I'm gonna make a jump, and that is kinda shit when everything needs very precise timing. And it's made even worse by the fact that in multiplayer, you can't really make up for Donkey Kong's foibles without completely taking over control of the other player, and that's no fun.

I was bored, so I played single player for the first time for a bit today. And in single player this game is a lot more manageable because you can utilize the "helper" characters and if you die, it's on you because you were given the tools and you fucked up. Donkey Kong still can't jump for shit, and that's annoying, but the helper characters make up for it and it's you controlling the helper characters so that's fine. Buttttttttttt, to me, that's still because we bought this game to have fun playing multiplayer. AND for the most part it is fun. But sometimes there's just levels that stop us in our tracks and it's so, so frustrating.

And we could just buy an assload of lives and just brute force our way through things, but that's not really fun. Like I said, we have Mario, and we also have Rayman Legends. Both of those games, like Donkey Kong, require very precise platforming, but unlike Donkey Kong, they don't feel clunky. In Mario, we don't really get that frustrated because when we die it's on us. The controls are so good and so precise that we can't really blame anyone but ourselves. With Rayman, it's the same situation. With Donkey Kong, again, DK just feels so clunky and his jumping so shit at times that you have to rely way too much on the helper characters. That's okay in single player, but shitty design for a multiplayer game, to me.

Rant over. I want to like this game so much. And I usually do. But sometimes it's just fucking unbearable.

• Like 1

That sounds exactly like the previous Donkey Kong game, and is exactly why I've not bought the last one. Too many things relying on perfectly timed jumps that you can't possibly know unless you've died a hundred times, and mind-numbingly infuriating minecart levels. I can't remember any other game making me as controller-throwing angry as Donkey Kong did.

You bring up the perfect point about Mario, though, which is why I point to (most) Mario games as near-perfect; even if you die a thousand times on the same level, it's well-designed enough that you blame yourself. So it's still fun, and you keep trying, because you know it's you doing something wrong. Games only become annoying when you know you can't do any better, and that it's the game's fault; it's badly designed, or it's unresponsive, or just cheap, or anything else. Mario never has that, it always feels like it's on you.

• Like 2

Considering getting a WiiU for the kids for Christmas.

This price looks too good.

http://www.simplygames.com/p/nintendo-wii-u-console-premium-pack-black-nintendo

Any reason it's so much cheaper than everywhere else?

Going by a recent HUKD thread on it, apparently it's an EU model they've put UK plugs into. Still, a good £50 or so cheaper than other places, though this an older model so you could argue that stuff like MK8 is worth more than Nintendo Land so that balances it a bit.

I was actually slightly tempted by a New Super Mario Bros U bundle in one of my local pawn shop type places for £150. I dread to imagine the state it'd be in though given the people who sell to those shops. :shifty:

oh my god

Bayonetta2FirstPrintEdition.jpg

Normally I find collector's editions kinda pointless, but that is amaaaaaaaaazing.

Also, if you wanna get a Mario game, I'd pay a bit more and just get a WiiU bundled with New Super Mario Bros. or 3D World. OR BOTH. Nintendoland is fun (especially for kids), but you can get it really, really cheap.

Smash Bros. demo is very bare bones. 2 minute matches, only a couple characters to choose from. But I did get to try out Mega Man. Had my best game with him actually.

Just getting used to it but the controls seem to be working pretty well on the 3DS. Wish there was more to the demo though.

It must be good if people will pay $30 for it!

Whilst I'm posting in here, Nintendo is doing another thing for people who buy and register a 2/3DS this Sept-Jan and either one of the Ruby/Sapphire remakes or Smash Bros. You then get a digital download for one of a select choice of games like A Link Between Worlds, Mario Golf, Monster Hunter 3 etc. Dunno if anyone will be jumping on this holiday season but it's a nice bonus. Was pretty gutted though as I was hoping they'd do this just for one of the games in a similar manner to Mario Kart 8.

You only get one course (Battleground, same as always) and a choice of five fighters. Mario, Pikachu, and Link are pretty much the same as ever--thought it may be my imagination but Link seems to pack a bit more of a punch. Villager doesn't seem my style yet. Mega Man has a PROJECTILE FORWARD SMASH and seems to be set up as the new Snake. His final smash rules, too.