Official 2012/13 Premier League thread

Lineker

• Admin
A Manchester City footballer has been charged with two counts of causing death by careless or inconsiderate driving.

Courtney Meppen-Walter, of Middleton Road, Blackley, was charged following the deaths of Kulwant Singh and Ravel-Kaur Singh on 1 September 2012.

The brother and sister died when their car collided with Mr Meppen-Walter's vehicle on Bury New Road in Manchester.

The 18-year-old is due at Manchester Magistrates' Court on 7 February.

Mr Singh, 32, and Ms Singh, 37, had been in the front seats of a Nissan Micra when it collided with Mr Meppen-Walter's Mercedes.

Police said Ms Singh's two sons, aged 16 and 17, who were in the back of the Micra and were injured in the collision, were "making a good recovery".

Mr Meppen-Walter has yet to play for Manchester City's first team but has represented England at Under-17 level.

West Ham defender Dan Potts has left hospital and returned home to rest after suffering suspected concussion in Wednesday's 5-1 defeat by Arsenal.

Potts, 18, spent the night under observation after appearing to suffer a clash of heads and falling to the ground before being carried off.

A statement on the West Ham website said tests carried out on the teenager had "come back positive".

Sir Alex Ferguson has also spoken out about criticisms of Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea at his media conference today.

Former United captain Gary Neville was heavily critical of the Spaniard in his role as a Sky Sports pundit this week following De Gea's poor punch which led to Tottenham's equaliser on Sunday at White Hart Lane.

"I am not getting into that at all," said Ferguson. "You have to listen to some idiots in the game."

Sir Alex also skirted around Rafael Benitez's renewed claims of the Manchester United manager having undue influence on the Football Association.

"I am not bothered what Rafa says to be honest," said Ferguson. "I have more on my mind."

Edited by Lineker

Thats not even the best part. I can't find a picture, but the Chronicle article says that hours before his arrest he posted a picture on Instagram of his name spelled out in £1500 worth of £20 notes. The prick.

I don't like him and he's a complete waste of space, but I can't see much wrong with him saying don't boo the team. Sounded like the article writer just wanted to make a naff point, especially when Ranger was one of the few players making the effort at Brighton.

• Admin
QPR chairman Tony Fernandes says he will leave the club if he cannot "fix" their problems.

The R's are bottom of the Premier League and lost 4-2 at home to League One MK Dons in the FA Cup on Saturday.

Fernandes said on Twitter: "Many fans attacking me. Doing our best. As I said we won't stop trying.

"As I have said many times I take all responsibility and will face the music. Always spirit up. If can't fix it I will be first to go."

The Malaysian businessman took over QPR in August 2011 on their return to the Premier League.

In January 2012 he sacked Neil Warnock, the manager who led them to promotion, with the club sitting one place outside the relegation zone.

His replacement, Mark Hughes, kept them up on the final day of the season.

The former Wales boss was then sacked in November after the club failed to win any of their opening 12 Premier League games, with a large proportion of his 11 summer signings criticised.

Hughes was replaced by Harry Redknapp, with the former Tottenham boss implying he would not spend much money on transfers in January if they were adrift at the bottom of the table.

However Fernandes then allowed him to break the club record to signstriker Loic Remy from Marseille for £8m, with his wages believed to be £80,000 a week.

Remy missed the Dons defeat with a tight hamstring.

• Admin
Aston Villa chairman Randy Lerner publicly backs manager Paul Lambert in a club statement.

Villa have not won in six league games and were knocked out of the League Cup and the FA Cup last week. Lambert said earlier on Monday that he shared an encouraging and supportive phone call with the club's owner after defeat at Millwall.

Lerner says: "I would reiterate that Paul has achieved success at many levels of professional football and I believe, given support, he will continue to do so for us."

"In the time that I've come to know Paul what is clear above all else is his strength of character and belief in his approach to football. Fortunes can shift quickly in this game and a sense that one has it right can become grave doubt in a matter of a few games.

"The Villa Board knew that with Paul we would begin to address the club's multi-year lack of competitive stability by reshaping the squad with seven new signings in the summer. It has been rewarding at times this season although certainly frustrating as well, particularly recently.

"During January Paul and the Board have discussed a variety of players although nothing has yet materialised, which I know also can be frustrating as fresh players always give at least a sense of progress and optimism."

According to Tony Barrett in the Times, Brendan Rodgers told Skrtel and Coates they made Oldham's Matt Smith "look like Didier Drogba" and Skrtel is likely to be dropped for Wednesday's game at Arsenal.

The whole quote is

"The boy Smith hadn't scored at home in two years and he's come up against two big units we have at centre half. A boy hwo has come out of university football and he looks like Didier Drogba."

Me thinks Brendan is a bit pissed off.