Official 2012/13 Premier League thread

Lineker

Disappointed to see Mancini go, but not surprised. To be honest I'm not even sure if winning the FA Cup would have saved him, though it certainly wouldn't have hurt. He brought silverware to the club after nearly 50 years in the wilderness (FA Cup win in 1969, only other trophy we won after that was the Championship (then the First Division) in 2002. I guess it just shows how temporary manager's jobs in the premier league are these days. I don't know much about Pellegrini so I'll reserve judgement for now until he's officially announced. I for one would love Mourinho to get the job instead though

I refused to believe that the City board were more cut-throat than the Chelsea board. They have proven me wrong!

Shocking decision. He brought them their first title in 50 years and then is gone the next season for finishing second? Ridiculous. Thought City had more sense than Chelsea.

I agree that it's a pretty nasty move but worse than Chelsea? In the past season alone there's been the sacking of Di Matteo AFTER WINNING THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE. Rafa Benitez might get the club back into Champions League places and he's going too.

This reminds me a lot of the Ancelotti sacking. A league title (or in Carlo's case, the double) followed by a trophy-less season. Repeated under-performance in the Champions League suspected to be a factor. Club fans left decidedly bemused by the decision.

Edit: The "worse than Chelsea" bit was a tongue-in-cheek prod about Chelsea sacking managers after the final game of the season, not two games before. :shifty: Obviously the Chelsea board have had many more years to amass all the crazy mid-season sackings you can care to think of.

Realistically it's nowhere near as bad as some people are trying to make out. I'm not really sure Mancini could of taken City to the next level and that's basically been the story of his managerial career. He's a very good manager but never been a great manager. His success at Inter all came through an advantage of the scandal, yet he failed miserably in Europe where Inter had no advantage over their rivals/opponents. Mourinho came in and by the end of the second season had taken them to a CL, taking Inter from being a very good side to a great side.

That's basically how I see the scenario at City. A very good manager not being able to take a very good team to the next level that they need to be at. City will be a force with a top manager in charge, a Mourinho or somebody along those lines and I'd expect you'll see City taking that leap. Will all depend who they appoint next though.

Mancini didn't do bad, but he also didn't do great. And his man management throughout, despite never being very good anyway, was fucking embarrassing at times.

City with a class manager appointed and Chelsea with a returning Mourinho, us with what we currently have as well as Moyes big test and we could have one of the best title races next season. Potential for both Arsenal and Spurs to also grow if they add to their squads in the summer, could be a cracker next season.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect

Rodgers is the 7th longest serving current manager in the Prem now after Mancini getting sacked. Shows how crazy the Prem is these days in terms of hiring/sacking managers.

It's the same across all the leagues unfortunately, and I am beyond sick of it. I believe the 11th longest serving manager in the league is now Karl Robinson, who is only 32 years old.

I really like Mancini so this is disappointing, I hope he manages in the Premier League again though I've no idea where he could feasibly end up.