Official 2012/13 Premier League thread

Lineker

A lot of teams will be in for Hernandez this year. I can't see him wanting to play a bit part role next season. If Rooney goes though that could/should help him unless Moyes has a deep, longing, fascination with Welbeck too.

bente3_zps1ba968a0.jpg

Yet another garbage infographic - if Benteke is taking 3.33 shots per game over 15 games, that's.....*maffs*....50 shots. How on earth does he have a 52% shot accuracy with 13 goals, unless that statistic is shots on target over total attempts (a totally useless statistic), or goals over shots on target - which is not a true indicator of "shot accuracy".

It actually seems like chance conversion is the statistic that shot accuracy SHOULD be. (goals over attempts) and that chance conversion should eliminate speculative shots and the like and focus only on clear-cut chances. (which, unless you're Carlton Cole or Welbeck it seems, should always be much higher than your raw shooting percentage)

I mean, it's clear that Benteke was still a prolific striker as it takes no small amount of skill to take nearly four shots a game and score on at least one of them. But it just seems like this was an attempt at some fancy stats that could have been done a lot better. Also I'd wager that there's a trend of the leading strikers in lower-half teams' numbers in this type of table being higher post-2013 than they are in the pre-2013 half of the season.

The highlights of the season video with the Kodaline song, that sky have been showing today is amazing.

Kodaline are actually a thing? Like, more than just my cousins cousins band?

Weird...

bente3_zps1ba968a0.jpg

Yet another garbage infographic - if Benteke is taking 3.33 shots per game over 15 games, that's.....*maffs*....50 shots. How on earth does he have a 52% shot accuracy with 13 goals, unless that statistic is shots on target over total attempts (a totally useless statistic), or goals over shots on target - which is not a true indicator of "shot accuracy".

It actually seems like chance conversion is the statistic that shot accuracy SHOULD be. (goals over attempts) and that chance conversion should eliminate speculative shots and the like and focus only on clear-cut chances. (which, unless you're Carlton Cole or Welbeck it seems, should always be much higher than your raw shooting percentage)

I mean, it's clear that Benteke was still a prolific striker as it takes no small amount of skill to take nearly four shots a game and score on at least one of them. But it just seems like this was an attempt at some fancy stats that could have been done a lot better. Also I'd wager that there's a trend of the leading strikers in lower-half teams' numbers in this type of table being higher post-2013 than they are in the pre-2013 half of the season.

They take in count the shots saved as shots on target, it's dumb

A lot of teams will be in for Hernandez this year. I can't see him wanting to play a bit part role next season. If Rooney goes though that could/should help him unless Moyes has a deep, longing, fascination with Welbeck too.

Chicharito will stay, I'm confident of that. He's our one proper goalscorer outside of RVP.

The highlights of the season video with the Kodaline song, that sky have been showing today is amazing.

Kodaline are actually a thing? Like, more than just my cousins cousins band?

Weird...

They've been all over the radio here and if Sky Sports are using them, I'd say they are a thing!

victorianpl.jpg

What would the English Premier League look like today if its football clubs had retained their original Victorian names and colours? The league title would have been won by a works’ team of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway. Newton Heath would be joined in the Champions League by local rivals West Gorton St Mark’s, and by Dial Square, who finished above Hotspur FC courtesy of a last day win at Stanley FC.

The Victorian Premier League contains only 16 teams. Four current Premier League clubs (Chelsea, Swansea City, Norwich City and Wigan Athletic) didn’t exist in the Victorian era, so they’re missing from our league table. Only three clubs (Aston Villa, Reading and Queens Park Rangers) retain their original Victorian names – and the latter two have been relegated. They will be replaced next season by promoted Riverside AFC (Cardiff City), and possibly by Watford Rovers (depending on the play-off final result), but not by Hull City or Crystal Palace, neither of which existed in Victorian times.

Only Reading have retained the exact same colours and shirt design – blue and white hoops – with the teams now known as Arsenal, Southampton and Everton also keeping pretty much the same colours. The Merseyside derby might have caused some confusion. St Domingo’s FC (Everton) and Everton FC and Athletic Grounds Ltd (Liverpool) both played in blue and white.

Finally, while all 16 clubs in this table were formed in the Victorian era, only only one can claim to have existed 150 years ago, when association football was first created. Stoke City was founded as Stoke Ramblers in 1863, the year that the Football Association was formed.

• Like 4

The original colours of Stanley FC were red shirts, white shorts and red socks.

Amateur journalism.

Hang on, were Liverpool called Everton F.C. in the 1800s or have they decided to put Liverpool above Everton for no reason?

The Merseyside derby might have caused some confusion. St Domingo’s FC (Everton) and Everton FC and Athletic Grounds Ltd (Liverpool) both played in blue and white.

Hang on, were Liverpool called Everton F.C. in the 1800s or have they decided to put Liverpool above Everton for no reason?

Liverpool formed when Everton divided into two clubs. You should know this!

Interesting fact I stumbled upon... Rodgers accrued more points in his first season than both Houllier and Rafa did. The team he inherited was much worse than the others, and the league is much more competitive than it was then. Doesn't mean much, but I am confident Rodgers is the right man.

Wonder if he'll do a Sam Allardyce and declare that he is a good enough manager for Real Madrid now that Mourinho is leaving.

Liverpool formed when Everton divided into two clubs. You should know this!

Interesting fact I stumbled upon... Rodgers accrued more points in his first season than both Houllier and Rafa did. The team he inherited was much worse than the others, and the league is much more competitive than it was then. Doesn't mean much, but I am confident Rodgers is the right man.

So this means it'll be Liverpool's year next year, right?