Official 2012/13 Premier League thread

Lineker

This deliberate/not deliberate debate gets so silly so often. I know this wasn't Premier League but a great example of it yesterday in the Dirty Claret & Blue Dingles game. Kieran Trippier got sent off for blocking a shot on the line with his hand, and a penalty was awarded. After the match Dirty Claret & Blue Dingles manager Sean Dyche said it was harsh as it "wasnt deliberate" but whether deliberate or not, if his hand isn't there it's a goal. Simple as that. If the ball hitting the players hand/arm affects the passage of the ball then it is a foul, and that's why I think the Bannan handball is a penalty.

It certainly never was for the first one though.

EDIT: Nice word filter on B urnley there

I agree with that, with the exception of if your arms by your side, as I think happened in the Chelsea game yesterday. This thing where defenders charge out with their hands behind their backs NBA style is just daft.

A fun week ahead:

1) If Chelsea lose against Juventus in Turin on Tuesday night, they will be probably-almost-definitely out of the Champions League (because no one can rely on Shakhtar beating Juve in the final sixth game if both teams know that a draw will send them both through).

2) If Chelsea lose against Manchester City on Sunday afternoon (as they have done in 5 of the clubs' 7 meetings over the past 3 years), they will be 7 points off the top of the league (having led it only a month ago), possibly down in 4th if West Brom beat Sunderland, and almost certainly only 1 or 2 points above the chasing pack of Everton/Arsenal/et al who are looking to dump them out of the CL spots altogether.

Just pointing this out so that the plethora of "CHELSEA IN CRISIS" articles and associated media punditry doesn't catch anyone by surprise. <_<