nPower Football League Thread 2012/13

Lineker

Barnsley have sacked Keith Hill.

And a Sheffield Wednesday player was booked twice but not sent off. Graham Poll style.

Of course it was by Mick Russell, easily the worst referee I have ever seen in my life. And that is a lofty accolade. The man is a complete fool.

• Admin

Blackburn Rovers global advisor Shebby Singh says the club have no immediate plans to appoint a new manager.

Rovers, lying 15th in the Championship, sacked Henning Berg on Thursday after only 57 days in charge at Ewood Park.

"There have been no appointments made, nor will there be in the immediate future," Singh told BBC Radio Lancashire.

Reserve team coach Gary Bowyer will take charge for Saturday's game against Barnsley at Oakwell.

Berg replaced Steve Kean on 31 October but the club won only one of their 10 matches during his time in charge.

Assistant manager Eric Black, coach Iain Brunskill and goalkeeping coach Bobby Mimms also left the club, who are 17th in the Championship.

Former Blackburn managers Mark Hughes and Kenny Dalglish have been linked with the vacancy, while former Aston Villa first-team coach Kevin MacDonald is also likely to be a candidate.

Singh approached MacDonald in November about the possibility of him becoming Berg's assistant.

Former Hull City manager Phil Brown has already expressed an interest in the job.

Brown has been out of management since his departure from Preston North End in December 2011.

The 53-year-old was expected to take over at Hartlepool United in November, but negotiations stalled and the club appointed John Hughes instead.

"My CV is certainly going in - I think it is a fantastic opportunity for somebody," Brown told BBC Radio 5 live.

lolwut.

Now they're saying that a new manager will hopefully be appointed tomorrow!

Whilst EWB was down Wolves sacked their manager (after losing to non-league Luton in the FA Cup) and decided immediately that to replace him they are gonna poach our manager Dean Saunders.

One day after we go joint top of the league. I would put an angry face here but it appears emoticons are not working yet.

Rumour does indeed say that, he's definitely been spotted there today. It's where Diouf and a couple of the other 'stars' lived last year whilst they played for us, that hotel.

Coyle would be a superb appointment but I just cannot see it happening.

• Admin
Swindon manager Paolo Di Canio has said he is willing to spend £30,000 of his own money to keep their loan players.

John Bostock will return to Tottenham this week, while Danny Hollands and Chris Martin have already gone back to Charlton and Norwich respectively.

And Chairman Sir William Patey has said Di Canio will not be given extra funds during the January transfer window.

"I will do everything to keep them, even put my own money in," the Town boss told BBC Wiltshire.

"I will spend £20,000 or £30,000 and put my money in to keep them for as long as we can, because I care and I want to win. I'm sure with them we have more chance to win."

Following his appointment in May 2010, Di Canio was given free rein by then chairman Jeremy Wray to add the Swindon squad, and his re-shuffle last season paid off, as he lead them back to League One as champions at the first time of asking.

He continued to strengthen his pack over the summer - signing 14 players - but his excessive spending lead to the club breaking Football League regulations, and they were subsequently hit by a transfer embargo.

The sanctions were lifted a month later but Patey, who replaced Wray in October, has since insisted no new funds will be offered to Di Canio to help maintain their push of back-to-back promotions.

Defender Darren Ward has already committed to a permanent deal since the window re-opened but the future of his fellow loanees remain unclear.

"I'm not going to start selling my houses in Italy, but I want to keep those players," insisted Di Canio, whose side sit fifth in League One.

"When I die I will have a bit less money but will have the victory as a manager.

"I've spent big money on solicitors in the past; you can imagine what I would spend on my players."

Meanwhile, Di Canio confirmed the sale of former captain Paul Caddis to Birmingham had broken down after the cash-strapped Championship side said they were unable to buy the defender out of his Swindon contract.

Caddis was loaned to the Blues at the start of the season, with striker Adam Rooney going the other way, after the Scotsman fell out with the Town manager.

Both parties had hoped to make the deal permanent in the summer but Di Canio revealed: "We agreed a deal for an amount of money but in the end they said 'we can't buy him now'.

"He will stay there and we are happy to keep Rooney here until the end of the season, and then we will go to another plan."

Also, John Sheridan is the new Plymouth manager.

• Admin

Barnsley make an approach to Inverness to speak to manager Terry Butcher about the vacant position at Oakwell.

Doncaster Rovers chairman John Ryan says the club "have a plan B" following the exit of manager Dean Saunders.

Welshman Saunders left Rovers, who are second in League One, to take over at Championship club Wolves.

"In the 15 years I've been chairman here, we have always had a plan B," Ryan told BBC Radio Sheffield.