2013 NFL Season Thread

Lint

He might get on an NFL team if he's willing to accept that fact that no one wants him as a quarterback. If not, have fun being a backup in the Canadian Football League. That, or an Arena League team will sign him to sell some tickets/jerseys.

The Orlando Predators already offered him a contract a few weeks ago.

He'd probably do good in the Arena League. There are a lot of players who couldn't cut it in the NFL who have done well there.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, most people thought Geno was pretty much a lock to go in the first round. The feeling was that despite a weak QB class, teams who desperately needed one (Jags, Raiders, Bills) would still take one but it just didn't pan out that way. And he still would've gone in the 1st round if Bills hadn't surprised everyone and taken EJ Manuel instead of Geno.

Dan what did Justin Blackmon do? The NFL suspended him 4 games

Nobody on the Jags forum seems to know right now.

Probably a DUI, that seems to be what he does during the off-season.

Jacksonville Jaguars wide receiver Justin Blackmon, the team's 2012 first-round draft pick, has been suspended without pay for the first four games of the 2013 NFL season for violating the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse, the NFL announced Tuesday.

Blackmon will be eligible to return to the Jaguars' active roster on Monday, Sept. 30, according to the NFL.

I may be in the minority, but I don't even think Geno Smith was the best QB in the draft. I was taken aback when EJ Manuel was the first one taken, but I think both him and Landry Jones will do better in the NFL than Smith. Maybe Matt Barkley, too.

The player I most expect to be a bust is Mantei T'eo, and not because he proved he's dumber than a bag of hammers with the whole fake dead girlfriend thing. But because of him being absolutely useless against Alabama. He might prove me wrong, but I'm not exactly going to be holding my breath while waiting to see.

The two players I most look forward to seeing in action are Cordarrelle Patterson (he was one of the few bright spots for the Vols) and Ziggy Ansah (great backstory)

Blackmon's suspension is for violating the league police on substance abuse, not performance-enhancing drugs. In other words, not Adderall.

Didn't think he looked like he was 'roiding so that makes sense.

Oh and it's going to cost him around $10 million.

I think Geno Smith was smart to fire his agent. During the lead-up to the draft a player's agent is the main person advertising them, extolling their good points and masking their bad ones. By not being the first QB taken in the draft and falling to the 2nd round, his agent failed at this job. Geno is lucky he wound up in New York since if he succeeds there he'll net a lot more money than succeeding in Jacksonville or Arizona or Buffalo. But all told, Geno lost a lot of money by falling out of the 1st round. None of us will ever know the reasons for this, but it's all too possible his agent didn't sell Geno to teams as well as he could have. So he's right to fire him.

Also, there could be countless other things going on between the two. Agents and players aren't always good friends. There could be something personal that happened between them that led Geno to fire him. No matter what the cause of this decision, wishing Geno to be one of the biggest busts in league history is quite an extreme thing to wish upon anyone. In my eyes it's close to wishing someone a terrible career is close to wishing injury upon them.

• Like 1

Falling out of the first round keeps him from a five year rookie contract though. This of course requires him to be successful for him to see any benefit.

I do believe Russell Wilson is still locked up for a few years despite not being a 1st round pick. 3 or 4 years? I would think Geno will deal with a similar length to his contract, and during it get paid much less than his 1st round counterparts.

The rookie pay scale seemed like a great idea at first, but knowing players like Luck, RG3, Kuechly, and Wilson are all going to be dramatically underpaid for a few years and have no ability to change it bothers me. There's gotta be some middle ground where rookie contracts can have performance-based bonuses. Attaching a monetary value to a player's present worth to their team is the dream scenario. The NFL has gotten away from overpaying players who have done nothing in their career and then proceed to do nothing to overpaying players who have done plenty in their career but will proceed to do much less than the value of their contract indicates they should. I don't think we're in any better place, hell chances are more players will have their careers end before they make enough money to retire on now than before the new CBA.

So I read that the D.C. city council wants to force the Washington Redskins into becoming the Washing Redtails, after the Tuskegee Airmen. If that happens, I don't think I want to live on this planet any more.

So I read that the D.C. city council wants to force the Washington Redskins into becoming the Washing Redtails, after the Tuskegee Airmen. If that happens, I don't think I want to live on this planet any more.

Yes, because a name based on an offensive stereotype is much better