2013 NFL Season Thread

Lint

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh another late game for the Eagles (02.30 AM local time) but at least it's on a Saturday so I can sleep in the next day, unlike today.

Really happy the Eagles won last night but Foles looks terrible under pressure and the O-Line was weak for a good portion of the game so yeah, not expecting anything from the playoffs.

Shut up Lint, we still have 5 Super Bowl titles to your 0.

Playoff victories since 1997: Cowboys, 1. Jaguars, 3. Just throwing that out there. That's like Habs fans still celebrating Stanley Cups from 30 years ago. Irrelevant.

But man, Boykin has been so clutch all season. I've been chirping on Twitter about him having a big role in the team's success since the preseason, and the coaching staff showed trust in him putting him one-on-one with Dez in some situations. His game-ending INT was a beauty.

The penalty for delay of game was a shitty call, but it didn't effect the outcome since Dallas scored anyway.

Is there any color commentator worse than Collinsworth? Besides praising McCoy, he really sounded like he had money on the Cowboys.

• Like 1

"History is irrelevant, now look at this statistic that uses a date specifically chosen to use history to back up my point!"

That 5 Super Bowls comment was addressed specifically to Eagles fans. It's not something I bring up very often, but it's completely ridiculous that Eagles fans are going to talk about another team not showing up in a clutch situation. You've got nothing to crow about, your team chokes just as much and usually on bigger stages, but your owner is less of a clown so you don't get catch any of the flak.

• Like 2

Only time it's silly to celebrate your history is when you weren't there to experience it. Maxx was alive for 3 Super Bowls, he's had it much better than fans of nearly every other team supported on here. Even if the past 15 years have been one long stretch of being decidedly average. I would take the ups and downs of that any day over the agony of being the drizzling shits for a decade like Cleveland, Jacksonville, and Oakland.

Only time it's silly to celebrate your history is when you weren't there to experience it. Maxx was alive for 3 Super Bowls, he's had it much better than fans of nearly every other team supported on here. Even if the past 15 years have been one long stretch of being decidedly average. I would take the ups and downs of that any day over the agony of being the drizzling shits for a decade like Cleveland, Jacksonville, and Oakland.

We've been to the playoffs a couple of times in the last decade and have won the same amount of playoff games as the Cowboys over that time! It's only the last few years (since the Gabbert disaster) that the Jags have been awful and that seems to be changing now with a good young HC and GM, though obviously time will tell.

Poor Neckbeard.

Anyway, predictions:

Colts def. Chiefs
Chargers def. Bengals
49ers def. Packers
Eagles def. Saints

Broncos def. Chargers

Colts def. Pats
Seahawks def. Niners
Panthers def. Eagles

Colts def. Broncos
Seahawks def. Panthers

Seahawks

Edited by RFP.

"History is irrelevant, now look at this statistic that uses a date specifically chosen to use history to back up my point!"

That 5 Super Bowls comment was addressed specifically to Eagles fans. It's not something I bring up very often, but it's completely ridiculous that Eagles fans are going to talk about another team not showing up in a clutch situation. You've got nothing to crow about, your team chokes just as much and usually on bigger stages, but your owner is less of a clown so you don't get catch any of the flak.

It's just a crazy stat that I saw someone tweet yesterday. Cowboys fans like to talk about their Super Bowls, but they've been irrelevant since before Y2K.

It's the same thing I hate about the Flyers. I'm a huge fan, but I hate when people my age talk about Stanley Cups that were 20 years before they were born. I try even not to talk about the Eagles success under Reid and McNabb, because at this point, it's irrelevant.

So, should Minnesota go after Shananhan? Great coach for a running game and you've got one of the best RBs of all time. If they're keeping Peterson, they should try to maximize what they have rather than starting to totally rebuild.

Shanahan thinks he's a lot better than he actually is. If I was leading a coaching search for any team right now, I'd be looking for a fresh take. A lot of recent coaching success has been on guys doing their first HC job - the Harbaughs, McCarthy, Smith (although it's a rough year for him this year), Kelly, etc.

Sure there's also Carroll, Fox and Reid, but I'd look to someone like Bill O'Brien before Shanahan, who coasted to two Super Bowls on Dan Reeves' teams, and hasn't won a thing since. He's done more harm than good to Washington (although the front office deserves blame on that, too), and has a weird insistence that his son is a competent OC.

Shanahan thinks he's a lot better than he actually is. If I was leading a coaching search for any team right now, I'd be looking for a fresh take. A lot of recent coaching success has been on guys doing their first HC job - the Harbaughs, McCarthy, Smith (although it's a rough year for him this year), Kelly, etc.

Sure there's also Carroll, Fox and Reid, but I'd look to someone like Bill O'Brien before Shanahan, who coasted to two Super Bowls on Dan Reeves' teams, and hasn't won a thing since. He's done more harm than good to Washington (although the front office deserves blame on that, too), and has a weird insistence that his son is a competent OC.

Um, well, not exactly, as he took over the job in Denver for Wade Phillips, not Reeves. And as far as it being Dan Reeve's team, Shanahan was the one calling the plays for most of Reeve's tenure with the Broncos. And while his post season success wasn't quite the same after Elway's retirement, he did rebuild the team and almost took them to another Super Bowl.

As far as the damage done to Washington, BRUCE FRICKEN ALLEN.

• Like 1

I was still young when he won those Super Bowls, but I know he followed them up with one playoff win the rest of his tenure there, and generally has gotten bounced in the first round in years his team makes the playoffs.

But yeah, the front office in Washington is a mess. Shanahan certainly didn't help things, though. The RGIII thing has created a complete circus down in DC. Dan Snyder is a terrible owner - it's like he's just playing Madden Franchise mode, but in real life.

Anyone picking the Seahawks to win the Superbowl is sweet and has not lived through a lifetime of Seattle sports like I have. I just hope they make it there, because I do love how excited we get in the leadup.