The Barclays Premier League Thread 2013/14

Lineker

So with all that by itself I would be frustrated but begrudging (we fail to capitalise on another team slipping up *yet again*). But what to me seems a complete fudge is the Eto'o 'goal'.

I recorded the match overnight and watched the Eto'o incident this morning (I was at the far end of the stadium). No whistle is blown. No signal is given for a freekick. The keeper smothers a low shot and everyone (except Eto'o) trudges back up the pitch to await his punt upfield. He puts the ball down. Eto'o scores. The referee looks fucking confused and eventually says "......................................Freekick?".

Farce.

What? The ref whistled for a freekick on Adrian. He also whistled before Eto'o put the ball in the net.

Why are you lot still bitching about the disallowed goal? Adebayor got a touch on the free kick. Dawson was offside when that happened. Ade was also offside when the free kick was taken. Two offside calls for ya.

I can't believe such an obviously correct decision got so much comment. Bizarre.

Yeah, Adebayor touched the ball. Also it was a penalty and a red card, I don't know why people keep thinking that just because you touched the ball, it's okay. Rose hits Dzeko from behind.

I agree with your logic, but I don't think it applies here. At full speed the touch on the ball puts it out for a corner, Rose is no longer impeding Dzeko when it's already out of his control. Reminded me of the ludicrous one we got at Old Trafford a few seasons back, it was a great tackle.

Eh, sending Remy and Johnson off was a bit much. It was just a bit of handbags, a yellow for each would've probably sufficed.

I think letter of the law they go, which makes it all the more stupid that Jonjo Shelvey didn't get a retrospective punishment the other week. Presumably the panel didn't recognise that weird lump of flesh as a human head.

On the Chelsea thing the ref speaks to Adrian on the floor, so safe to say he's made a decision. At very least he's been on the floor for longer than keepers are allowed to hold onto it so play has stopped, in which case its a drop ball, in which case wellying it into the back of the net is a bit unsporting...

I don't think Rose was a penalty/red card. Tackles from behind aren't illegal and he took the ball.

and there's no way that the goalkeeper leaves the ball unattended and turns his back on it if the referee hasn't indicated a free kick to him

Which is great and all that but if it looks like a clear foul to an official he is going to give it

in regards to the penalty? Yeah you're right but that doesn't make it the correct decision as people are saying

Which is great and all that but if it looks like a clear foul to an official he is going to give it

in regards to the penalty? Yeah you're right but that doesn't make it the correct decision as people are saying

Of course. It was the wrong decision, it was a great tackle and all that, but you cant tackle from behind in the box, get the faintest of touches and not have it look dodgy.

I guess we need to have penalty box technology replays on decisions like this >_>

I don't think Rose was a penalty/red card. Tackles from behind aren't illegal and he took the ball.

and there's no way that the goalkeeper leaves the ball unattended and turns his back on it if the referee hasn't indicated a free kick to him

Unless you're Heularious Gomes.

And yep, that definitely wasn't a foul by Rose.

We've appealled the Remy sending off despite Pards saying we wouldn't. Hopefully they've remembered to cite Shelvey as precedent/incompetence.

I would say Spurs have disappointed more than United, if only because all their post-Bale purchases had people thinking "ooh, maybe they'll be a more complete team", whereas United with Moyes and their lolworthy summer transfers just had people thinking "....hmm, dubious".

Even though the more I think about it, the more that seems completely wrong because Spurs' ambitions were always lower than United's ambitions and now they're higher in the table...but that's the way it feels to me nonetheless.

• Like 1