Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Thread

Plubby

Between the anti-gay laws, the threat of a terrorist attacks, the games going horribly over-budget, the mass killing of stray dogs, and the fact that many buildings housing visitors aren't even finished, this has to be considered a disaster for the IOC, right? They could go to North Korea or Syria for the next games.

• Like 3

NONE OF THESE THINGS ARE REAL IT'S JUST AN ANTI-RUSSIAN CONSPIRACY BY LITERALLY EVERY MEDIA REPORTER EVER.

(An opinion held on some twitter account I posted to Linekles' FB wall but can't get from work)

Google (at least .au and .uk Google) has gotten all political and put athletes shaded by the LGBT colours behind the Google letters with the following quote

"The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

The American Google has the quote without the shading, which is weird.

• Admin

Anyone who hasnt seen it yet should watch Channel 4's Dispatches - Hunted programme. Really powerful stuff.

On the eve of the Sochi Winter Olympics, Russia is officially welcoming gay athletes and spectators. But in a country where it's thought only 1% of gay people dare to live completely openly, it appears to be a hollow gesture.
This extraordinary Dispatches documentary has gained unique access to the vigilante gangs that target gay men and women. The film depicts a country troubled by disturbing violence and distressing intimidation.
Six months after the Russian parliament unanimously passed a law to protect children from 'non-traditional' relationships, this film explores the terror that gay people in Russia are calling 'hunting season'.
Not sure whether this clip will be viewable abroad, though.

NONE OF THESE THINGS ARE REAL IT'S JUST AN ANTI-RUSSIAN CONSPIRACY BY LITERALLY EVERY MEDIA REPORTER EVER.

(An opinion held on some twitter account I posted to Linekles' FB wall but can't get from work)

I don't think that's an entirely unreasonable belief to hold. I'm a bit uncomfortable with the manner in which western journalists are gleefully mocking the event's - and by extension Russia's - shortcomings. I know a lot of this is the product of a bigoted and corrupt establishment, but ultimately the people that are suffering from it are ordinary Russians, who in General have far less privileged lifestyles than any of us here. It's bad enough for them without us sticking the boot in.

I mean, "lol, Putin" is fine. "Lol, Russia" isn't, and some of the reactions have been downright spiteful.

This was a good article on the subject that I read the other day: http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2014/02/06/get_ready_for_an_olympics_filled_with_potemkin_village_metaphors

Western journalists have traveled to Russia in search of the country of their dreams, and, lo and behold, they have found it. This is the Russia of the Western imagination: Corrupt, hollow, and dysfunctional. Sadly, the initial reports out of Sochi indicate that Olympic Games are going to be covered in utterly predictable fashion: as a confirmation of everything terrible the West thinks about Russia. The toilets don't have doors! The water can't be consumed! The people are impossible!

• Like 3

I don't think that's an entirely unreasonable belief to hold. I'm a bit uncomfortable with the manner in which western journalists are gleefully mocking the event's - and by extension Russia's - shortcomings. I know a lot of this is the product of a bigoted and corrupt establishment, but ultimately the people that are suffering from it are ordinary Russians, who in General have far less privileged lifestyles than any of us here. It's bad enough for them without us sticking the boot in.

I mean, "lol, Putin" is fine. "Lol, Russia" isn't, and some of the reactions have been downright spiteful.

This was a good article on the subject that I read the other day: http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2014/02/06/get_ready_for_an_olympics_filled_with_potemkin_village_metaphors

Western journalists have traveled to Russia in search of the country of their dreams, and, lo and behold, they have found it. This is the Russia of the Western imagination: Corrupt, hollow, and dysfunctional. Sadly, the initial reports out of Sochi indicate that Olympic Games are going to be covered in utterly predictable fashion: as a confirmation of everything terrible the West thinks about Russia. The toilets don't have doors! The water can't be consumed! The people are impossible!

Out of curiosity, where you saying the same when the media were covering India's hosting of the Commonwealth games?

Out of curiosity, where you saying the same when the media were covering India's hosting of the Commonwealth games?

I can't remember. In any case, everything I believed in 2010 was wrong anyway. >_>

2 Brits in the slopestyle final that is currently under way.

And the first medal goes to USA, somehow. Shame that second run was ruined early on for that Murray lad.

Just a couple of hours until Holland's first gold, and maybe a silver and bronze as well.

EDIT: Murray? Nicholls even.