Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Thread

Plubby

the bigger rink doesn't lead to more scoring chances at all; what it leads to is teams playing 1-4 traps with one guy in the nuetral zone and everyone else hiding behind their own blueline, and a lot of dump and chase. If you like no forecheck hockey and teams hoping their cherry picking forward can corral a hail mary pass, good on you, but for the most part these have been low scoring, low excitement games, and only the stakes make them worth watching.

Oh, come on. The bigger rink definitely leads to more scoring chances, especially for the faster players. I prefer the NHL season myself, but it's pretty obvious that a bigger rink leads to better rushes up the Ice and more scoring chances. The low scoring games have been against teams that are matched a little closer.

'Straya update: Katya Crema (who I'm probably not related to) did really well and almost managed to sneak a medal in the ski cross. Alpine and cross-country skiers weren't expected to do much but otherwise good results. The bobsleigh teams might be a little disappointed with their finish too but very good across the board for a minor country, competitors in most fields and the three medals the AOC were aiming for. Silver medallist Dave Morris to carry the flag.

Elsewhere, lol GB curling. We don't have a team in curling (a bit strange as it's quite similar to bowls) so coverage has been limited, but they just got thrashed by Canada. Moment of the games though has to be that ski cross race where 3 men fell on the last jump and there was almost a dead heat for second when they all just sprawled over the line :w00t: