The Barclays Premier League Thread 2014/2015

brenchill

So Karl Henry nearly kicks Routledge's face off, then seconds later goes over the ball and nearly breaks his legs, Routledge nudges him in the arse with a toe and gets sent off for violent conduct. Modern football.

Did MOTD highlight Cahill's kick and stamp on Kane by the way, or has Mourinho's campaign of hate speech meant they're now immune from media scrutiny?

They did not.

Did they even show it in the end? There was so much going on yesterday that every game got pretty much skimmed through to fit it all in.

It is bad just how many bad decisions are continuously made across the league, coaches can complain all they want and while there are still strange decisions you can't believe are a genuine mistake, then you watch days like yesterday and realise every single one of them really is that shit.

Speaking of that Cahill thing, I watched the final 20 minutes or so on Portuguese TV, and I honestly felt disgusted. I usually don't watch many Premier League games and had heard about this, but the guys doing the commentary for the match were absolutely disgraceful, constantly whining about how the referee had had influence on the game's result in Tottenham's favor. They did this while saying "Cahill should've seen a yellow card there, the refereeing is being very poor, but Chelsea clearly has more reasons to be unhappy". No, you idiots, that was a red card that should've been given, and when a team suffers five goals like the ones they did, all clean and in the last one's case, at least, very much consented by the defence (IMO, I think the defenders being there and not being would be the same thing; the goalscorer, can't remember his name, did whatever he wanted inside the box), that team has no right to complain about the refereeing.

Like I said, I had heard about how the commentary guys always sucked up to Chelsea and Mourinho, but I never thought it would be this bad. I find it particularly disgraceful, since the games are broadcast on a club's television (in this case, Benfica TV) with no affiliation whatsoever to Chelsea and no ties to Mourinho (except being both from Portugal, but I don't think they verbally fellate other Portugal representatives on the matches; at least, I never heard them go on and on and on about José Fonte, for instance); it's even worse when Mourinho has had several verbal wars with our manager, even just a few months ago!

Again, disgraceful.

[/rant over]

Didn't know where else to put this, but thought it was a nice story so I'll post it here.

tl;dr - Leicester fan and nephew get taken to wrong train station in unfamiliar Liverpool by cabbie and uses up the last of his money in doing so. Posts asking if there's anywhere he and his nephew can stay out of the cold for the night, kindly Liverpool fan offers to pay for taxi and a hotel.

• Like 1

Speaking of that Cahill thing, I watched the final 20 minutes or so on Portuguese TV, and I honestly felt disgusted. I usually don't watch many Premier League games and had heard about this, but the guys doing the commentary for the match were absolutely disgraceful, constantly whining about how the referee had had influence on the game's result in Tottenham's favor. They did this while saying "Cahill should've seen a yellow card there, the refereeing is being very poor, but Chelsea clearly has more reasons to be unhappy". No, you idiots, that was a red card that should've been given, and when a team suffers five goals like the ones they did, all clean and in the last one's case, at least, very much consented by the defence (IMO, I think the defenders being there and not being would be the same thing; the goalscorer, can't remember his name, did whatever he wanted inside the box), that team has no right to complain about the refereeing.

Like I said, I had heard about how the commentary guys always sucked up to Chelsea and Mourinho, but I never thought it would be this bad. I find it particularly disgraceful, since the games are broadcast on a club's television (in this case, Benfica TV) with no affiliation whatsoever to Chelsea and no ties to Mourinho (except being both from Portugal, but I don't think they verbally fellate other Portugal representatives on the matches; at least, I never heard them go on and on and on about José Fonte, for instance); it's even worse when Mourinho has had several verbal wars with our manager, even just a few months ago!

Again, disgraceful.

[/rant over]

To be fair, the Vertonghen "handball" wasn't (it's not handball every time the ball touches the hand etc) and Fazio's tackle that looked a bit dodgy at full speed turned out to be rather excellent and got the ball alone.

None of the goals were at all contentious (well Chelsea's first was the closest to being contentious with Costa being in an offside position) and the penalty that was given was a penalty.

• Like 1

So Karl Henry nearly kicks Routledge's face off, then seconds later goes over the ball and nearly breaks his legs, Routledge nudges him in the arse with a toe and gets sent off for violent conduct. Modern football.

Not to mention Rob Green clearly handling outside the box when Routledge tried to round him. But it all evens out by the end of the season, right?

Zwole are terrible

Too bad it's PEC Zwolle, they were loads better when they were FC Zwolle though. :shifty:

Ignoring them beating Ajax last season for the Cup. :shifty:

Not to mention Rob Green clearly handling outside the box when Routledge tried to round him. But it all evens out by the end of the season, right?

That was a poor decision, its just this bizarre definition of violent conduct that I just don't get. Shove someone in the chest all you like, but touch anything above the collar and its a three match ban, except when it isn't. God knows what Routledge was judged on, presumably 'looking angry that a noted useless clogger tried to snap him in two'.

Zwole are terrible

Too bad it's PEC Zwolle, they were loads better when they were FC Zwolle though. :shifty:

Ignoring them beating Ajax last season for the Cup. :shifty:

Bit off topic but is Drost any good for Zwolle in RL? He's a beast for me on FM.

Not a clue, outside of feyenoord I watch very little Dutch football.