The Barclays Premier League Thread 2014/2015

brenchill

I'm just going to place these two quotes next to each other, for it is in their combination that they amuse me.

After that [2005] final we were fortunate as a coaching team that we could work with him for another five years, as he almost left that summer for Chelsea. Eventually the pull of Liverpool proved too much and we had long meetings trying to explain our plans and ambition and how important he was to us.

Rafa Benitez

3rd January 2015

I wish I'd met Brendan when I was 24 because I think I'd be sitting here talking about a lot of titles that we'd won together. 'The reality is, Brendan came into this club when I was 32 years of age and it's a shame that relationship didn't start 10 years ago.

Steven Gerrard

3rd January 2015

Is this your way of trying to recover from the spanking Spurs gave you lot? :P

I get why you've put them together, but the second one is just him fawning over his current manager. At an absolute push he maybe means 'If I was 24 I wouldn't have had to play parallel to my centre halfs and some other poor sod might have cost us the league'.

Oh it's all just fawning of one kind or another. The amusement springs most intentionally from taking them out of context. :shifty:

Is this your way of trying to recover from the spanking Spurs gave you lot? :P

Nope. Going into a proverbial cave for two days was my way of recovering. :P

• Like 1

If we're going for silly quotes, we can also put the spotlight of Mourinho for a bit :P

Mourinho takes swipe at Arsenal
o.gif
_40140322_mourinho203.jpg

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has launched a scathing attack on title rivals Arsenal by claiming their defenders are a "disgrace".

Referring to Arsenal's 5-4 win over Spurs, Mourinho said: "Five-four is a hockey score, not a football score.

"In a three-against-three training match, if the score reaches 5-4 I send the players back to the dressing rooms as they are not defending properly.

"So to get a result like that in a game of 11 against 11 is disgraceful."

• Like 4

I look forward to him instructing his players and ballboys to rush the ball back into play within a second of it going out should they go ahead next Saturday. Mourinho doesn't mean a single word he says to the press, and that's not a criticism.

To accurate model Mourinho style media duties, FM should have a little check box that says 'Players have been instructed prior to ignore all this because it is knowingly bullshit'.

• Like 4

Not really, it's a psychological trick all great managers use, they build an 'us against them' construct.

Ferguson did it, he was forever accusing referees, the FA, ballboys, the tea lady, the Illuminati, whoever it took for his players to adopt a siege mentality, it brings the group together, it's a natural human condition to bond together within your group when you're under perceived threat and a more cohesive group makes for a more cohesive team.

That was today's sports psychology lecture. There will be a pop quiz on Tuesday.

• Like 4

Yes, but it doesn't stop me from thinking he's a complete douche for the bullshit he spews. :P

It's obvious his whole approach is to create that sense of us vs. them mentality, get the squad to come together as one, and also for Mourinho to take a lot of the heat when his squad under performs. I respect the idea behind it, but it doesn't mean he's not a twat.

• Like 1

I honestly believe it's down to the training load. We've had some injuries that have happened during a match, and the odd one that can't really be helped (Rojo's collarbone injury against City), but the majority have occurred in training.

But who are we to doubt the philosophy. <_<