NBA 2014/15 Season Thread

Plubby

Yay, pretty fucking happy. Wolves just extended Rubio for four years $55 million with an extra million in incentives. People keep going on about it being an overpay given how many point guards there are. But nobody seems to realise that someone needs to pick your team over another. Plus Rubio is probably the perfect PG for this team as it develops, we don't really need a shoot first PG. Someone who can distribute the ball creatively, control the floor and be decent defensively (which he hasn't been the first two games). Plus his new jumper looks pretty.

Also OMG he's even hotter this season with his big boy haircut.

Edited by Quom

You put Rose AND Westbrook into your fantasy team? It actually isn't a surprise it's doomed.

Didn't Westbrook play every game for like four or five seasons before missing his first game? I remember he and KD being new gen iron men.

Edited by Quom

You put Rose AND Westbrook into your fantasy team? It actually isn't a surprise it's doomed.

Didn't Westbrook play every game for like four or five seasons before missing his first game? I remember he and KD being new gen iron men.

Monta Ellis has played every game in the past 2 years, and they don't talk about him >_>

Also, good on Rubio to get a good deal. He's one of the smoothest passers in the league, and if he can continue improving his shooting touch he can become very very valuable. It's just a shame he's stuck on a team that seems to be spinning it's wheels all the time. But hopefully the Rubio extension will make other players more enticed to stick around.

Monta Ellis has played every game in the past 2 years, and they don't talk about him >_>

Also, good on Rubio to get a good deal. He's one of the smoothest passers in the league, and if he can continue improving his shooting touch he can become very very valuable. It's just a shame he's stuck on a team that seems to be spinning it's wheels all the time. But hopefully the Rubio extension will make other players more enticed to stick around.

Giving a PG who is a complete liability shooting the ball 55 million is probably going to make it less likely people will stick around. Hopefully for the TWolves sake he will develop into a semi-decent scoring threat but that contract has all the makings of a disaster if not.

• Like 1

Giving a PG who is a complete liability shooting the ball 55 million is probably going to make it less likely people will stick around. Hopefully for the TWolves sake he will develop into a semi-decent scoring threat but that contract has all the makings of a disaster if not.

He's a liability shooting the ball, but he's not a glory-baller. Last year he was 38% from the field, whilst not great at any stretch it shows that he knows his limits and isn't going to try to shoot the team to a victory/loss. His skills lie in getting people to score, he's top 5 passing any day of the week and his upside could be the top if he keeps improving.

He drives to the basket and then passes it out, much like Steve Nash but without the long range touch. But he brings actual defense and some rebounding spirit to the game unlike Nash. And he's a steal threat too with 2+ per game for his career.

The team also has Wiggins, K-Mart, Thad Young, and effective bigman Pekovic on the roster. Three guys that can score the ball, so there's no need for Rubio to be a scoring machine at any stretch.

Rubio is in his 3rd year and he's only 23 years old. He's still got plenty of years to become a better shooter, but as a team, especially one without much in terms of value you need to pick up a guy that gets lots of assists because elite passers are a premium in the NBA.

Yes, I'm sure having a pass first PG is a massive deterrent to other players. It isn't like Rubio jacks up 25 shots a game and hits 35% of them, he averages 8-9 shots a game whilst playing over 30 minutes. I also see Love leaving as a reason some guys will be more likely to stick around. Everything was run for Love, now if you're hot or open you'd better get ready for Rubio to get you the ball.

Beyond all that, Rubio has been working with a shooting coach who is now on staff. He's hitting his shots this year (small sample I know), he has even developed a shot fake to get defenders in the air and to draw a foul off them Kevin Martin style. He's shooting 9/22 through his first two games (40%) which includes two half court heaves at the end of quarters, take those out and it's 45%. Every night he's a triple double threat, he's one of the best rebounding PGs, is always close to 10 assists per game and always comes close to leading the league in steals and despite what lazy reports say it isn't from gambling. At most it's from taking a step into a passing lane which he can recover from, it isn't Brewer running 5 feet off his man to try and steal.

But yes, I'm sure 99% of NBA players are going to hate hearing "we have a PG who would much rather pass you the ball in a good position than take a shot themselves, so unfortunately you will need to shoot the ball more from good positions".

I'm not a fan of paying him as much money as they did however I can understand why they did it... Hopefully his shot develops more and if it does, then the deal will work out ok... I still can't see players wanting to go play in Minnesota though... It's always going to be about them developing players and hoping they can keep ahold of them...

In other news, Phoenix baby :w00t: 2-0! Good come from behind victory at home over San Antonio... Isaiah Thomas is really turning out to be bargain so far... Two huge games off the bench and definitely should be in the discussion for 6th man of the year throughout the season... I'm hoping they can keep up this level of play for the remainder of the season however I think we need to make a trade and get some depth downlow...

Heartbreaking loss to the Bulls. Wiggins learnt a valuable lesson about staying grounded to contest shots in the dying seconds though. Rubio again tied the franchise record for assists (17) before being given his 6th foul on a bullshit call.