The Barclays Premier League thread 2015/2016

Lineker

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

The way I see it, as a newbie, is that Spurs are a lot more likely to win it in the next few years than Leicester is to be back in this position.

On paper and in theory yes, but let's not forget that Spurs gonna Spurs and we could very well get relegated next year :shifty:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rocky Horror Szumi Show said:

Good news, @TLHobo @therockbox, Ian Ayre is stron stepping down at the end of the next season!

Dammit, couldn't get In Before Lineker!

Oh so THAT'S HOW IT IS THEN IS IT?!! :angry:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rocky Horror Szumi Show said:

Haha I tried to tag you and Nerf, but when it wouldn't let me tag Nerf, I gave up and assumed there was a limit on people you can tag in a post.

Don't worry @David Marrio, you'll still never walk alone! ;)

Oh, I see how it is. <_<

31 minutes ago, Adam said:

Did Klopp take a look through the last few years of the transfer committee's 'business' and say "nah, I don't think so" so now Ayre is leaving?

Let's hope so, anyway.

Apparently it was Ayre's decision and FSG tried to convince him to stay put. He informed them as early as December, apparently, so it's nowt to do with ticketgate either.

I don't think it's "good news." He's done an awful lot for the club. Some supporters would do well to remember we were dangerously close to pulling a Leeds until he stepped in and got us back on our own two feet. And despite what you may think of his transfer dealings, he's landed A LOT of lucrative sponsorship deals for us, all while effectively doing the work of an entire team by himself. I think we'll be worse off not to have him, even if he should never have been allowed to have any say in scouting or negotiating with players.

I think this was coming. Last summer Mike Gordon, who is FSG's more football interested (I guess?) guy, started taking a more active roll and it seemed to signal a "we're going to get shit done" modus when it came to transfers. Perhaps because he went with Ayre to do things like meeting with Firmino - but he's still based in America.

Ayre is the guy essentially running the club from Liverpool and he's always looked like an semi-competent middle manager. He can get excellent commercial deals but fluff transfers (and obviously something changed last summer - my guess being Gordon's arrival because all Rodgers' 1st choices were bought IIRC). The last thing I remember Ayre doing was that interview before the ticket protest where more or less dismissed the whole thing. That may have been one of his bigger miscalculations he's made in this a role he's never seemed particularly suited for. Although I feel he has possibly been a bit hamstrung by due to the way the club is run and the fact his bosses have been learning the sport on the job (and been really slow learners).

I wouldn't be surprised if this results in Liverpool appointing a Sporting Director or Director of Football. Ideally, also appointing someone with a bit more power than Ayre ever seemed to handle the running of the club.

I have no idea who these players are who are masquerading as a Newcastle team are, don't they know it doesn't involve running, passing and shooting?